Why are basophils elevated in the blood?
Basophils are special large, granular white blood cells belonging to a species of the white blood cell family. They are formed in the so-called granular sprout in the bone marrow. Basophils consist of large nuclei, granules, lobules and particles, the cell contains active components( histamine, heparin, serotonin, etc.).Getting into the general bloodstream and tissues, basophils linger in them for about 2 weeks. Basophils have many functions in the body, they are responsible for the general health of the body and its efficiency. Therefore, if basophils are elevated in the blood analysis, this fact requires special attention and additional examination, since on this basis an imbalance of the whole hematopoietic system may occur. Consider the topic of the role of basophils in the body, which means an increase in basophils in children and adults.
- What basophils do, their main purpose in the body
- Causes when basophils in the blood are elevated in an adult
- Causes of an increase in a child
What do basophils do, their main purpose in the body
leukocyte formulas are involved in various inflammatory processes. In addition, the main role of basophils to participate in allergic reactions. By contacting with the allergen, these blood cells instantly release the contents of the cell, that is, the granules and active substances, thereby blocking the irritating element. In the tissues in which the biologically active granules emerge, an effect of inflammation is created, the blood flow increases, itching, burning and swelling of the tissues can occur.
When creating an inflammatory focus, the body begins to release and release new blood cells in order to increase strength and cleanse the blood of pathogens or allergens.
Summing up, we can summarize the main functions of basophils in the human body:
- suppression and “blocking” of allergens;
- preventing the spread of foreign particles in the body;
- regulation of microvascular permeability and tone;
- maintenance of water and colloid state, as well as skin metabolism;
- neutralization of toxins and poisons, including insects;
- preservation of the body's defenses;
- participation in the processes of clotting and phagocytosis.
If basophils are elevated in an adult, then the "root" should be sought in history, analyze past diseases, and the patient's living conditions. Next, we consider in more detail why there are elevated blood basophils in the child and the older population.to contents ↑
Causes when basophils in the blood are elevated in an adult
A condition when the number of cells in the blood is increased is called basophilia. In a number of cases, when elevated basophils are found in the blood, there is talk of any chronic inflammation or of sluggishly prolonged diseases, such as ulcerative colitis in the chronic stage, thyroid hypofunction, erythremia, allergy, etc. Basophilia is often noted in the following types of diseases and pathological conditions:
- Acute or chronic leukemia or myeloid leukemia;
- Jaundice and acute hepatitis;
- Diseases of the digestive tract associated with inflammation of an organ;
- Viral infections, often chronically sinusitis;
- Allergic reactions, most often food;
- Lung Cancer;
- Thyroid dysfunction;
- Hodgkin's disease( a malignancy in the lymphatic system).
If, as a result of the analysis, it is recorded that monocytes and basophils are elevated, then you should be screened for purulent infections or other inflammatory processes.
If both eosinophils and basophils are elevated in an adult, then most likely we are talking about the effects on the body of irritants and allergens, first of all, consultation with an allergist is required.
But, in addition to pathological grounds, there are some physiological factors that allow a moderate increase in basophils in the blood, the causes:
- increase in the level of the hormone - estrogen in women with the onset of menstruation or ovulation;
- during the recovery period after a severe infection;
- after long-term administration of drugs with estrogen;
- as a result of exposure of the body to radiation, often observed by radiologists or laboratory technicians;
- is sometimes elevated in blood basophils due to iron deficiency or poor nutritional deficiencies.
One way or another, if you find a higher rate, you need to go through a complex honey.survey, to neglect this state in no case be impossible.to contents ↑
The reasons for the increase in
in a child There are very few basophilic cells in the child’s body, about 1% of the total leukocyte count, to be more precise, a rate of 0.75% is considered normal for newborn babies, 1month-0.5%, in one-year-old children and older, the level should not deviate significantly from 0.7%.But, despite the small number of basophilic leukocytes, they play a significant role in the protection and implementation of important reactions in the body.
The elevated basophils detected in a child’s blood may indicate that negative factors are exposed to the child’s body, such as allergens, poisons, worms, infections, etc. In addition, as in adults, if the absolute content of basophils is elevated, the risk of developinghe has some diseases, for example:
- food or drug allergies;
- poisoning and intoxication;
- chickenpox / smallpox;
- blood disorders;
- worm infestation;
- thyroid dysfunction.
Basophil level itself will not return to normal or stabilize. If the absolute content of basophils is increased, it is necessary to undergo a comprehensive examination in time, to detect and treat the underlying disease or to eliminate the provoking factor. In addition, the patient's diet should include as much as possible products containing iron and vitamin B12.Therefore, dairy products, cheeses, eggs, and various by-products( kidneys, liver, etc.) should be added to the daily menu. In some cases, for basophils to return to normal, it is enough to cancel certain medications.
God bless you!