The rate of calcium in the blood. The reasons for the increase and methods of normalization
Calcium in the human body plays a crucial role, because this element performs a huge variety of physiological functions, is one of the main extracellular components involved in blood clotting processes. Everyone knows that calcium is essential for building a strong skeleton and teeth, but besides that, it is an indispensable aid in conducting heart contractions and nerve impulses, as well as in the work of the endocrine glands.
- Why do I need a calcium test in the blood?
- Blood calcium is normal
- Blood calcium is increased, what does this mean?
- Symptoms of calcium overload in the body
- What is the danger of increased calcium in the blood, and how to remove excess element from the body?
The adult's body contains approximately 1.5 kg of calcium, and 99% of the total amount is concentrated in the bone tissue, and only 1% is present in the blood.
To determine the concentration of an element in the serum, a person is subjected to a biochemical blood tes
Why do you need a test for calcium in the blood?
To understand the essence of this study, it should be noted that calcium in the blood occurs in 3 states:
- in a free state, it is called ionized calcium;
- in combination with anions( lactate, phosphate, bicarbonate, etc.);
- in combination with proteins( as a rule, it is albumin-whey protein).
The prerequisites for the purpose of the analysis to determine the level of Ca may be suspicion of osteoporosis, as well as some pathological conditions of the musculoskeletal system. Also, the analysis can be assigned for specific complaints of the patient about aching bones, muscle pain, excessive tooth decay or fragility of the nail plate, with frequent fractures of the limbs. Analysis of calcium content is also carried out before performing surgical operations.
The most common test for total calcium in the blood and ionized. The second option is more informative, since the element “in conjunction” does not affect the functionality in the body as much as the free particles of this thing. Although a blood test for ionized calcium will cost more, the determination of its level will be a more reliable indicator in the diagnosis of various diseases.to contents ↑
Blood calcium is normal
Only a doctor with an appropriate level of qualification should decipher the results of the analysis. The specialist analyzes the patient's condition, taking into account not only the indicators in the blood, but also the clinical picture, the existing symptoms and history of the person.
Therefore, we can consider only average statistical levels of calcium in the blood of a healthy person.
When taking an analysis to determine the total level of Ca, the following values are considered the norm:
- for children from 0 to 12 months - 1.9-2.6 mmol / l;
- for children from a year to 14 years - 2.3-2.87 mmol / l;
- for the adult population is 2.2-2.55 mmol / l.
Normative values for different age categories will vary slightly, but on average it is considered to be the norm of the border from 2.16 to 2.6 mmol per liter.
It should be noted that the rate of calcium in the blood of women during pregnancy and lactation decreases, as part of the substance goes to the development of the bones of the fetus and child. But at the same time, the body's need for this element increases, so the daily rate of calcium for pregnant and lactating mothers is very high, approximately from 1000 to 1300 mg.
When calcium is ionized in the blood is checked, the rate should be within the following limits:
- in infants less than a year - 1.03-1.37 mmol / l;
- in children under 16 years old- 129-1.31 mmol / l;
- in adults is 1.17-1.29 mmol / l.
The causes of the level deviation must be identified, because too much or too much calcium in the blood leads to certain pathological changes in the body. A reanalysis may be scheduled to refute or confirm the existing abnormalities, and then further examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment measures will be scheduled.to contents ↑
Increased calcium in the blood, what does this mean?
The condition when an increase in the concentration of a trace element is detected above 2.5-2.6 mmol / l is called hypercalcemia. If calcium is significantly elevated in the blood, this should be a significant cause for concern. There are many different conditions and pathologies in the body that provoke an increase in the level of Ca.
The following causes of increased calcium in the blood are most likely, all of which are quite dangerous for the body.
- Primary hyperparathyroidism
The essence of the disease lies in the appearance of tumors in the parathyroid( or parathyroid) glands, which are responsible for stabilizing the level of calcium in the blood.
These glands are able to capture the concentration of calcium in the blood and with a deficiency of this element, release parathyroid hormone, which increases the level of calcium in the blood due to the destruction of bone tissue with the release of calcium or due to more intensive absorption of calcium in the kidneys and from the intestines. When tumors appear on the glands, the parathyroid hormone begins to stand out, even if there is compliance with the normal calcium content in the blood. Thus, the bone structures are destroyed, releasing an excess of calcium in the blood.
- Malignant neoplasms and other neoplastic ailments.
Any tumor formation significantly affects the bone tissue, in consequence of which cytotoxins are formed. Increased calcium in the blood in women is often found in the development of cancers in the ovaries or mammary glands.
- Excessive consumption of foods with a high content of Ca, as well as an excess of vitamin D in the body, which contributes to good absorption of the microelement, leads to the fact that calcium metabolism is disturbed, its excretion is slowed down and the content of cation in the blood increases.
Total calcium may be elevated in the blood in the following pathologies:
- in acute renal failure;
- for gastrointestinal ailments, including with a small amount of production of gastric juice;
- for spinal tuberculosis;
- with dehydration;
- can be increased ionized calcium even with a sedentary, sedentary lifestyle and long-term immobilization( lack of load on the skeleton), usually this applies only to the elderly, in infants, this figure usually increases as a result of genetic or hereditary abnormalities.
Symptoms of calcium overload in the body
Hypercalcemia may be asymptomatic, but the patient may show some specific symptoms of this condition, for example:
- nausea or vomiting;
- constant thirst;
- absent-mindedness, emotional instability, and sometimes mental disturbances, including hallucinations;
- with chronic hypercalcemia, the patient often has lumbar pain and stomach pain, swelling of the extremities, and problems with urination.
What is the danger of increased calcium in the blood, and how to remove the excess element from the body?
The excess of the considered mineral in the body in humans is often the result of prolonged use of certain drugs, as well as the development of certain diseases. Leave this fact without attention.
The fact is that excess calcium is not excreted by the body in a natural way, which means it will concentrate in the kidneys and subsequently trigger the development of urolithiasis. Also, this chemical.trace element is able to settle on the walls of blood vessels, contributing to the development of stenosis and cardiovascular diseases. Suffer from hypercalcemia and muscle. In advanced cases, a person has mental and emotional disorders.
It should be indicated that to solve the issue of how to lower calcium in the blood should be necessarily highly qualified specialist. Independently, you can improve your condition and normalize the indicator, a person can only change their diet and mode of life. Since calcium enters the body exclusively with food, it is first necessary to eliminate or minimize the consumption of foods with a high content of Ca, to a greater extent these are:
- cheese, kefir and cottage cheese;
- wheat bread;
- sesame and sesame oil;
- dark chocolate.
Now you know the main purpose of calcium, its excess also as a deficiency can harm the body, therefore, compliance with calcium in blood serum is important for health. But, it should be remembered that when detecting deviations of the indicator, the last word when making a diagnosis must necessarily remain with a specialist, only the doctor will help find out the cause of this condition and suggest measures for its normalization.
Listen to yourself and take care of your health!