What does the high content of platelets in the blood test
Cells responsible for blood clotting and timely stop bleeding, both internal and external, are called platelets. This is one of the main components of blood. Normally, in a healthy person, the level of platelets should be between 200 and 400 * 109 / l. The level can fluctuate during the day or seasons. However, a significant increase in platelets in the blood may indicate a variety of inflammatory and body processes, diseases, including blood, as well as the development of acute infections. The term thrombocytosis is called elevated platelet levels in humans. Such a condition usually requires competent examination, diagnosis and comprehensive treatment.
- Blood platelets are elevated, what does this mean?
- Causes of High
- What to do when high platelets in the blood
Platelets in the blood are elevated, what does this mean?
When platelets are produced more than is allowed for a healthy person, the risk of clots in the blood channels increases, a
Many experts believe that elevated platelets in the blood or their accelerated formation is associated with an increased concentration of megakaryocytes in the bone marrow, because small, non-nuclear platelets separate from these giant cells. But in any case, in order to identify the true cause of the problem, it is necessary to carry out a differential analysis of the results of the study, to carry out diagnostics, and only then proceed to the procedures for improving and normalizing the blood condition. You may need to diagnose:
- passing the general analysis 3 times every 4 days;
- microscopic examination of the bone marrow( biopsy);
- hemostasis system( coagulogram) study;
- measurement of serum iron levels;
- and others at the discretion of the physician.
This disease, like others associated with blood formation, is performed by a hematologist.to contents ↑
Causes of high level
In medicine, primary, secondary and clonal thrombocytosis are distinguished.
The cause of clonal thrombocytosis is the defect of stem cells in the bone marrow or the damage to their tumor masses. In this case, the process on the process of platelet production can not affect anything, this phenomenon is uncontrolled.
Increased platelet count during primary thrombocytosis is associated with impaired stem cell function, which causes a huge amount of platelets to enter the blood. The causes of this condition may be a hereditary factor or the development of erythremia( tumor blood disease) or myeloid leukemia( a type of blood cancer).Most often, the person does not feel any specific symptoms, except for unexplained short-term headaches. As a rule, this pathology is diagnosed randomly during blood donation for analysis.
Secondary thrombocytosis can arise on the background of various chronic diseases, infectious processes, and can also be a side effect of certain drugs and external influences. Increased platelet counts may occur for the following reasons:
- Acute infections. Bacterial( meningitis, pneumonia), viral( encephalitis, hepatitis), fungal( aspergillosis, thrush) and parasitic.
- Removal of the spleen. Since this organ is responsible for the elimination of old cells, almost 1/3 of all blood platelets are split in it;
- Inflammatory processes in which platelets can be higher than normal: rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthritis or inflammation of intervertebral joints, sarcoidosis, hemorrhagic vasculitis, liver problems, etc. Vit. B12);
- The formation of a malignant tumor almost always provokes an increase in blood platelets;
- Acute iron deficiency;
- Elevated platelet counts after surgery is a response when some blood is lost;
- Platelets in the blood can be elevated in an adult due to alcohol abuse, excessive salt intake, the effects of toxic substances on the body;
- The number of certain blood elements is controlled by the nervous system, so stress, depression and anxiety lead to an imbalance throughout the body.
Elevated platelets during pregnancy, in addition to the above reasons, may be associated with antiphospholipid syndrome( production of large amounts of antibodies to phospholipids), as well as with toxicosis. Vomiting and diarrhea contribute to the removal of fluid from the body and, therefore, thickening of the blood. It is possible to aggravate this condition if the expectant mother consumes an insufficient amount of liquid( for example, to avoid puffiness).
Thrombocytosis leads not only to an increase in the number of platelets, but also to a change in platelet indices, for example, an increase in the platelet distribution index pdw, or an increase in the relative width of the platelet distribution by volume.
As you can see, the high content of platelets in the blood can be provoked by quite serious and life-threatening pathologies and diseases. To find out the real reason and get an adequate appointment, it is impossible to do without consulting with a hematologist.to contents ↑
What to do when high platelets in the blood are
In order to prevent the formation of clots and blood clots in the vessels, it is necessary to thin the blood when detecting thrombocytosis. Drug treatment is usually recommended only in severe cases. As a rule, special medications are prescribed that reduce the total number of platelets, prevent adhesion of blood platelets, and improve blood microcirculation. These include: aspirin, trental, heparin, warfarin, etc.
Remember, the use of drugs without a doctor's prescription is extremely dangerous to health!
If we are not talking about a critical increase in the level of platelets, then we can lower their number without drugs. The basic rule is to follow a special diet, the basic principles of which are as follows:
- eat as many vegetables and fruits as possible;
- add celery and ginger to the menu;
- eat berries: sea buckthorn, raspberry, currant, wild rose, cherry;
- drink plenty of water( non-carbonated), green tea, juice from vegetables and sour berries;
- exclude alcohol and smoking;
- do not eat fatty, fried and spicy;
- minimize the consumption of animal and protein foods( except dairy products).
It should be noted that there are some foods that contribute to blood thickening: bananas and pomegranates, mangoes and lentils, walnuts. Also, blood is more viscous in people taking hormonal( contraceptive), as well as diuretics, as well as in smokers and alcohol lovers. In addition to medications and diets, there are some recipes for how to reduce blood platelets with folk remedies.
- Decoction of mulberry roots. Washed and chopped roots pour 3 liters of water and put on a slow fire.15 minutes after boiling, remove the broth from the heat, cool and take a glass of 3p.in a day. After 5 days of admission, take a three-day break, after which repeat the course.
- Place the juice of the "wine" grape varieties in a saucepan and cook until only 1/3 of the original volume remains. Drinking this sour juice a glass per day, it is not forbidden to add a spoonful of honey for taste.
- Cocoa. Drink this drink for breakfast, without sugar, to improve the condition of the blood and nervous system.
- Ginger stimulates metabolic processes in the body and dilutes the blood. Therefore, during thrombocytosis, it is recommended to take it as a spice for food( in powder form), as well as an addition to teas and beverages.
- Tincture of ginkgo biloba will help to establish blood circulation and dilute existing clots.50 g of dry leaves of the plant, pour 500 ml of vodka. Insist should be in a bottle container for 14 days. Should be taken within 30 minutes.before meals for a teaspoon. The course of treatment is 30 days. After half a year, if necessary, the course can be repeated.
Prescriptions for alternative medicine should be coordinated with your doctor in order to avoid deterioration.
Hopefully, from this article you understand what this means when platelets are above normal. Thrombocytosis is a very serious pathology requiring consultation and advice from a hematologist.
Protect your health, life is the most valuable thing you have!