What is blood amylase, if someone has heard such terminology, it is unlikely to have an idea of what is being said, although this element plays an important role for health.
Amylase is a biologically active enzyme that is involved in catalyzing the breakdown of carbohydrates, it also splits starch and glycogen to maltose, glucose, etc. Amylase is formed mainly in the pancreas and salivary glands. More rarely, the enzyme is produced in the liver, ovaries, tone and large intestine, in the fallopian tubes and mammary glands in women. In the human body, only alpha-amylase is synthesized, which is involved in the processes of digestion.
- Blood amylase, what is it? The main functions of
- Blood norm
- What does blood amylase show, possible causes for abnormalities
- How is amylase determined?
- How to lower amylase in the blood?
What is amylase in a biochemical blood test, what could be the indications for the purpose of the study, and what is usually assoc
Blood amylase, what is it? The main functions of
Amylase is one of the main digestive enzymes, its main role is to decompose starch into the lightest forms, a group of oligosaccharides. The transformation of one component into another, begins in the oral cavity, sinceamylase is present in human saliva. This whole process is needed because the starch is too complex and will not be fully absorbed in the intestinal tubes, therefore, the speed and quality of assimilation of "heavy" carbohydrates of food depends on the proper operation of the enzyme.
Amylase is produced by exocrine cells, then it enters the intestine, where mostly biological degradation occurs. Part of the enzyme that has reached the intestines, enters the bloodstream.to contents ↑
Since the human pancreas is a mixed secretion organ that produces enzymes and hormone-like substances, the amylase formed in it is usually divided into two indicators: total alpha-amylase and pancreatic.
Alpha-amylase is a reflection of the total, total count of the enzyme in the blood. The normal value of the enzyme is considered to be:
- for children under 2 years old - 5-65 U / l;
- amylase in the blood is the norm in adults and children over 2 years old - from 25 to 125 U / l;
- for older people over 70 years, from 20 to 160 U / l.
The rate of amylase in the blood of women and men is the same, the rate only partly depends on the age group of the patient. However, in some sources there is information that the amylase rate in men may slightly deviate from the maximum value( no more than 10 units).
When an indicator level in the blood is detected that is much higher than the allowable value, this is considered as a pathology.
However, it is important to take into account that in the blood test for amylase, the results may be slightly distorted due to severe stress the day before, alcohol intake, certain medications or deviations from the recommended diet for certain disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, before donating blood for a study, it is recommended to follow some simple rules:
- to donate blood strictly on an empty stomach, best early in the morning;
- for a couple of hours before serving do not smoke;
- do not drink alcohol the day before;
- follow a sparing diet, refrain from eating spicy, spicy, fatty and hard-to-eat foods.
What shows blood amylase, possible causes of abnormality of
The change in the concentration of the alpha-amylase enzyme is mainly associated with pathological processes occurring in the pancreas, as well as damage to organs near it. If alpha amylase is elevated, this means that an excessive amount of enzyme cells has entered the systemic circulation. This usually occurs in the following diseases:
- pancreatitis in acute or chronic form;
- renal failure;
- type II diabetes;
- intoxication of the body;
- cancer tumors in the pancreas, liver or gallbladder.
In cases when alpha amylase in the blood is lowered, the list of possible pathologies is noticeably narrowed, usually we can talk about the development of the following diseases:
- acute hepatitis, as during the period of illness the carbohydrate metabolism is disturbed;
- destruction of pancreatic tissue or total pancreatonecrosis( when the organ is self-digesting);
- cystic fibrosis( congenital pathology associated with disruption of the pancreas).
Also, the level of amylase in the blood and the norm can be violated as a result of severe injuries, falls from a height and severe poisoning.to contents ↑
How is amylase determined?
To determine the level of the enzyme amylase, a person needs to donate blood for a biochemical study. Often, determining the concentration of the enzyme in the blood is of diagnostic value, if the doctor suspects that the patient has pancreatic diseases, cell damage of the digestive organ, or pancreatitis in an acute or acute form. After receiving the results of the analysis, the doctor will be able to make an unequivocal diagnosis and prescribe the correct decision.
In addition to medical concerns, it is necessary to donate blood to determine the level of the enzyme if there are some "suspicious" symptoms:
- the appearance of pain in the area behind the ears;
- lack of appetite;
- general malaise.
How to lower amylase in the blood?
If the level of the enzyme is significantly elevated relative to the amylase rate in the blood of women or men, it is likely that a more thorough examination will be required to find the cause of this condition. Patients after 50 years of age, it is recommended with a frequency of 6-12 months to undergo a full examination of the digestive tract and donate blood for research.
After identifying the cause of excessive activity of alpha amylase, the doctor will prescribe a treatment that will eliminate the underlying disease and bring the level of the enzyme back to normal.
There are some tips that allow you to speed up the process of restoring the normal performance of enzymes in the body:
- during treatment, try to maintain a calm, bed rest, do not exercise.loads;
- take care of the normal duration of your sleep, at least 8-10 hours a day;
- keep sparing food, eliminate spicy, sour, fried foods, alcoholic beverages, coffee and chocolate from the diet.
Now you know what it is amylase in the blood, and how important this enzyme is for the human body.
See a doctor in a timely manner, take care of your health!