Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms and Treatment in Adults
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)Is a complex clinical situation from the field of functional pathology of the gastrointestinal tract, which is difficult to diagnose by various laboratory and morphological studies.
In fact, this syndrome is expressed by a whole complex of symptoms, which includes cramping pain in the abdomen and irregular intestinal motility. Manifestations of this syndrome lead to a difficult passage of food through the intestinal tract, various disorders of defecation, abdominal pain and other unpleasant consequences. According to statistics, women suffer from this syndrome twice as often as men.
In cases with IBS, a different combination of symptoms is possible, for each person it is quite individual, and a different severity is also observed.
- There may be pain in the lower abdomen, which is weakened by the passage of gases.
- Often, bloating after eating.
- Extraneous sounds in the abdomen (rumbling).
- As a rule, strong flatulence is observed.
- Disorders of defecation - diarrhea or constipation, as
- The bowel feels filled, even after defecation.
- Slime is seen in the stool.
- Outside the gastrointestinal tract, there may also be various symptoms of IBS:
- Increased anxiety or even depression;
- Fatigue, a feeling of constant fatigue;
- Periodic headaches;
- Sensation of unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth;
- Possible sexual problems (pain during sex, reduction of sexual desire, etc.);
- Frequent urination.
Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome often appear immediately after eating, also during various stressful situations and during menstruation.
Causes of irritable bowel syndrometo the present moment have not been fully investigated. Several theories of the mechanisms of the onset of this syndrome have been consistently put forward, but studies in the field of perception of pain have been successful. These studies indicate a hypersensitivity of the intestine in people exposed to IBS. Such patients feel severe pain during mechanical stretching of the intestine, and this hypersensitivity in them is formed under the influence of various harmful factors (intestinal infections, stress, physical trauma and so Further). Psychological factors are of great importance for the appearance of IBS. The most severe forms of the syndrome are observed in people who have suffered psychological trauma and shock. There is also a certain genetic predisposition to this disease.
In addition to stress, attacks of irritable bowel syndrome can be triggered by smoking, antibiotics, malnutrition, increased physical exertion and even a change in the level of estrogen in blood.
Treatmentirritable bowel syndrome
For successful treatment of the syndrome, you need to contact the gastroenterologist. Only a qualified examination will help to exclude from the patient serious diseases and inflammatory processes, the symptoms of which are similar to IBS. This is especially true for the elderly. If there is an increase in temperature, the weight decreases sharply, appetite worsens, fatigue is observed, mucus and blood appear in the stools, the doctor should be contacted immediately. Professional counseling is also necessary if the diagnosis of IBS has already been made, but the manifestations of the disease worsen and the usual medical measures no longer help.
Medicamental treatment of irritable bowel syndrome is quite diverse. First of all, selective antispasmodics are taken, which reduce pain without side effects for the gastrointestinal tract. Simethicone is also used, which eliminates the difficulties of gas separation. Effective antidiarrheal drugs (loperamide, as well as activated charcoal) will be effective. With constipation will help lactulose and macrolol.
For the general improvement of digestion, enzymatic preparations of the pancreas can be prescribed. In severe forms of IBS, a doctor may prescribe the use of psychotropic medications, various antidepressants.
But in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, and especially in the prevention of seizures, the following factors are of no small importance:
- Proper nutrition. In this diet should be selected individually, it is better to compile it together with a doctor. As a rule, enriching the diet with foods rich in fiber (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) helps. It is better to use bran (beans and rice), oatmeal products. Individual intolerance of some products (for example, dairy) is possible. They need to be identified and subsequently abandoned by their consumption, and milk should be replaced with sour-milk products. In cases of increased gas production, cabbage, legumes, and other similar products that include easily digestible carbohydrates should be excluded from the diet. Also it is required to limit consumption of beer, bananas, grape and apple juices, raisins, nuts.
- The regime of food is also important. I need to carefully chew and do not hurry.
- To eliminate violations of microflora, it is necessary to take preparations of lactic acid bacteria or yoghurts with live cultures.
- Emotional tension provokes seizures of IBS, so you need to learn to calmly react to difficulties, avoid stressful situations. Perhaps in this matter will help relaxation techniques, yoga and so on.
- Optimal physical load. Simple exercises performed every day, walking and other adequate exercise help normalize peristalsis and relieve symptoms of IBS.
In the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and the elimination of its symptoms, traditional medicine can also be used. To relieve pain in the abdomen, you can use peppermint infusion, you can also add cinnamon and ginger to the drink. To reduce inflammation of the intestine it is necessary to take 6 times a day tincture of mint, chamomile, althea medicinal and hydrastis. In order to prevent constipation, aloe juice will help.
If constantly attack stress and can not get rid of nervous tension, a good tool will be a warm bath with the addition of essential oils (juniper, geranium or mint oil). For pregnant women, such baths are contraindicated.
Irritable bowel syndrome does not pose an immediate threat to human life, but significantly affects the quality of life. Therefore, when unpleasant symptoms occur, it is necessary to take all the measures in time to normalize the state of the intestine, improve the general condition and prevent possible complications.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Adults
In medicineirritable bowel syndrome (IBS)in adults is defined as an ailment that is accompanied by chronic pain in the abdomen, as well as a number of other symptoms - constipation, bloating, diarrhea.
In the irritable bowel syndrome, a whole set of dysfunctional disorders is observed. The objective reasons for the appearance of such symptoms are stressful situations, non-observance of a healthy lifestyle, in particular, malnutrition. Also worth mentioning and rest, problems can appear against the backdrop of chronic fatigue or due to disturbances in the "wakefulness / dream" system.
Irritable bowel syndrome is accompanied by deeper and more serious disorders of the body: liver disease, all kinds of tumors and ulcers, hormonal failures and intestinal infections.
All cases of such a painful condition doctors are divided into two types - the one that is accompanied by diarrhea and the fact that "liquid stool" is absent.
Because of what the problem arises, the first signs of pathology
As already noted,irritable bowel syndrome in adultscan manifest itself as a result of frequent psychological disorders. It also happens that the disease occurs as a result of dysbacteriosis or because the body lacks important vitamins, minerals and other useful substances necessary for its full functioning.
The main symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are diverse, we can distinguish:
- diarrhea is a syndrome characterized by a loose and frequent stool, combined with flatulence and specific abdominal cramps;
- constipation - a condition when the stool is observed extremely rarely - about 2-3 times a week;
- painful sensations, periodically arising around the perimeter of the abdomen;
- feeling that after defecation a person emptied not completely.
Proper treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
If speak abouttreatment of IBS. then according to the advice of doctors. it is necessary first of all to balance the diet of your diet. In this case, a diet with an irritated bowel is especially important.
In the daily diet should prevail foods that contain a large number of fatty acids, antioxidants and natural enzymes. In addition, it is necessary to take measures, thanks to which the psychoemotional system will come to normal. You can use the recipes of alternative medicine. about which your doctor will tell you. There will be appropriate teas and decoctions with anti-inflammatory and soothing effect.
It is very important to correct all mental disorders, if any. To this end, specialized doctors must prescribe doses of antidepressants, which contribute to the relief of pain. But they must be taken strictly in accordance with the instructions, since an excessive number of such drugs can lead to negative consequences.
With any problems with health it is important to know that only a professional specialist can provide effective first aid and in time prevent possible complications.
Sources: http://med-zabolevaniya.ru/sindrom-razdrazhennogo-kishechnika.html, http://medaboutme.ru/zdorove/publikacii/stati/sovety_vracha/sindrom_razdrazhennogo_kishechnika_u_vzroslykh/
No comments yet!
Share your opinion