How to treat an intestinal disorder in cats
Why the cat has diarrhea: the causes and treatment
Diarrhea in cats is characterized by frequent liquid feces. Disorder can result in a change in the diet, as well as various infections and diseases. If the diarrhea lasts for several days and there are other unpleasant symptoms, the cat needs to be treated urgently.
Causes of diarrhea in a cat
Normally, cat feces should be slightly moist, soft, structured and dark brown. Healthy animaldefecates 1-2 times a day. If the feces have lost their form or become watery, then it speaks of diarrhea.
In most cases, diarrhea leads to a disruption in the functioning of the digestive system. It can be caused by eating spoiled food or food waste. Also, the cause of diarrhea in cats is the change in feed. In some cases, the disorder is observed after motion sickness in transport or as a result of severe stress that may occur when contacting another animal or after visiting a veterinarian. Such reasons are easily eliminated, which means it will be easy to cure a cat from dia
Sometimes diarrhea happensmore serious reasons:
- various viral infections;
- bacterial infections, namely salmonella and clostridia;
- various diseases of the liver and kidneys;
- an obstruction of an intestine.
Despite such an impressive list, one should not panic, since in most cases diarrhea leads to diarrhea.
To determine the cause,pay attention to the feces of the cat:
- yellow indicates insufficient digestion of food;
- orange shade indicates an excess of bilirubin and possible damage to the liver;
- The green color of feces occurs when there are putrefactive processes in the intestine;
- white feces indicate that bile does not enter the intestine;
- watery diarrhea is observed as a result of abundant discharge of fluid in the intestine, while in most cases the mucosa is not damaged;
- too frequent diarrhea, observed 5 times a day and more often, speaks of a disorder of the rectum or other serious diseases;
- Diarrhea along with vomiting occurs when the cat is poisoned strongly;
- an admixture of blood indicates severe illness;
- The presence of mucus in the stool is usually observed with inflammation of the large intestine.
The most important thing in the treatment of diarrhea is the establishment of its exact cause. To help the doctor put the correct diagnosis, it is necessary to describe all the subtleties of the behavior, feeding and condition of the catwithin the last 2-3 days. In addition to a careful examination, the doctor will measure the temperature of the cat, probe its organs, and also establish the degree of dehydration. In some cases, additional study of feces, urine, and blood will be required. To be convinced of absence of intestinal obstruction and other diseases, it is necessary to make a roentgen.
How to treat diarrhea in a cat?
If you notice that your cat has diarrhea, you need to startanalyze the nutrition of the animal. and only then treat it. If during the last 2 days the menu of the pet was raw seafood or liver, milk, too fatty meat, then, most likely, they caused the disorder. In this case, it is sufficient to exclude these foods from the diet and hold the cat for a half-starved diet for a while. With abundant liquid diarrhea, cut portions and feed the animal less often.
In the case when diarrhea arose in the kittenwhen transferring to another food. it is enough to give small portions. In fact, this is quite normal, that is, one should only worry if Diarrhea does not go away for a long time or is observed after you stop giving a new one feed. In this case, you need to deal with the treatment of worms and show the kitten to the vet.
If the animal, except diarrhea, does not have any other symptoms, including fever, it is necessary to begin treatment. The kitten is not fed for 12 hours, and the adult cat is a day. During this period, activated carbon is given from the calculationand 1 tablet per 10 kg. The required amount of the drug is dissolved in warm boiled water, and then the solution is taken into a syringe without a needle, which pours liquid into the mouth of the cat. Many veterinarians, in addition to activated charcoal, recommend giving the pet a decoction of St. John's wort or chamomile.
After a day's fasting, you can start feeding the cat. For this purpose, easily digestible food is suitable. This applies to products such as boiled chicken, boiled eggs and rice. You can also give a therapeutic food, created specifically for cats. When choosing it, it is necessary to pay attention to the label on the package about the treatment of digestive disorders, including diarrhea. It is worth noting that the first few days after diarrhea, the animal is given half of the usual portion.
To avoid the development of diarrhea in the cat, it is necessaryfollow the simple guidelines:
- maintenance of cleanliness of the cat litter;
- regular disinfection of cat's bowls and tray;
- use of high-quality feed or fresh natural food;
- timely vaccination;
- treatment from worms and other parasites.
If the cat has diarrhea for several days or if there is an admixture of mucus and blood in the stool, it is necessary to visit a veterinarian. This also applies to cases wherepresence of other symptoms. including plaintive meow, fever, weakness, apathy and vomiting. In the absence of such signs, curative fasting and revision of the diet will help improve the condition of the cat.
Zakirov Rinat Nailyvich
The cat has diarrhea: how to cope with the situation?
Home pets are as often sick as their owners. Therefore, their health should be treated with care. This will help to help knowledge of the habits and behavior of your pet. One of the most unpredictable and unpleasant problems is diarrhea in a domestic cat.
Cat diarrhea, like human, is a gastric disorder. Symptoms and consequences are still the same: a loose stool. He can have black and red colors in fluffy pets during this period if there is bleeding in the stomach. Plus, nausea, vomiting, mucus in stool, lack of appetite, as a result, severe dehydration. To start treatment of the pet should be immediately. But before you think about "what to give a cat for diarrhea? You need to study all the symptoms and identify the causes of the condition.
Causes of cat diarrhea
The cause of diarrhea can be both the wrong diet and the disease
Diarrhea is a sure sign of a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. So, he can not, for whatever reason, cope with his functions. The reasons can be very different.
- Improper diet or changes in dietary components. Any innovations should be applied gradually, so that the organism has time to adapt. Otherwise, this experiment will end with diarrhea. Liquid stools are also found in pets that are overfed, for example, with fatty meat or raw fish.
- Change of water. The animal gets used to a certain composition of the liquid. If the pet travels a lot, for example, to the dacha, then you should carry the usual supply of water.
- Food poisoning, which often happens with cats released to take a walk. At will, the animal can be poisoned by eaten game or trash food remnants.
- Food allergy, which arises from the inability of the stomach to digest food from the master's table.
- Stress. Nervous situations on the cat's body also affect negatively. This can be a disturbance associated with the appearance of a new pet at home, staying in a hotel for animals, a visit to a veterinarian, a long parting with the owner.
- Hair balls that are not digested, but help pets clean the stomach.
- Reaction to medicines. Each cat has its own individual characteristics, which can manifest itself in the treatment of certain diseases by drugs.
Worms can cause diarrhea in cats
All of the above reasons are eliminated easily. The situation is more dangerous when it comes to the manifestation of serious diseases. Here is a list that can cause diarrhea:
- The presence of worms (it can be worms, lamblia, etc.);
- Diabetes mellitus, that is, a serious metabolic disorder;
- Cancerous tumors;
- Obstruction and other intestinal diseases;
- Various liver diseases;
- Renal failure;
- Fungal bacteria;
- Viral infections, for example, leukemia, infectious peritonitis, etc .;
- Bacterial infections, for example, salmonella, clostridia, etc .;
- Poisoning with toxins.
The list is impressive, but do not panic.Still, the most common cause of diarrhea is a digestive disorder.And it's easy to cope with this at home.
Diagnosis of feces
Determine the reasons for stool color
Everything will tell the color and consistency of stool.
- Green: there are bad processes in the intestines. The cause may be eaten spoiled food.
- Yellow: food is not digested enough.
- Orange: the pet has an excess of bilirubin, which indicates problems in the liver.
- White: the channels of bile flow into the intestine are clogged. It is necessary to address to the veterinarian.
- The cat has diarrhea mucus: an inflammatory process in the large intestine.
- Diarrhea with water: excess fluid in the intestinal space.
- The cat has diarrhea with blood: it indicates the presence of a serious disease. In the shortest time, you should contact the vet clinic.
- The cat has diarrhea and vomiting: food poisoning.
In addition, a loose stool can be observed from drunk milk, it's completely fearless. The fact is that over the years the cat produces less and less enzymes, which are responsible for digesting the dairy components.
After vaccination, there is also the possibility of diarrhea. But this is not a reaction to the vaccine, but a testimony to the fact that the animal had some hidden disease.
The more frequent a loose stool, the more intense the disorder.
For the treatment of diarrhea in cats, diet and fasting are used
The method of treatment depends on the root cause of the problem. A simple diarrhea caused by a malfunction in the diet is treated by eliminating symptoms.
Enough to put the pet for a short starvation. Enough couple of days. In the first hours, you also need to limit drinking, especially if there is vomiting.
Also, the pet needs peace. And to make up for the loss of fluid in the body, you can give a pipette chamomile broth or boiled water.
Begin feeding on the third day with small portions, gradually increasing them. After the diarrhea is defeated, you do not need to relax. Take in the habit of watching the diet of your pet, otherwise diarrhea can go to the chronic stage.
If diarrhea is a consequence of other diseases, for example, infections or poisoning, then the treatment of the underlying cause is added to the measures described above. And here you can not do without a veterinarian. He will prescribe the necessary drugs.
All medications should be prescribed by a veterinarian, you should not decide for it.First, feces are taken for analysis, and then adequate treatment is prescribed. Even the situation with worms and other parasites should be decided together with a veterinarian. Otherwise, you risk poisoning your pet with toxins and make it worse.
Therapeutic diet for diarrhea
After starvation, not all food will fit
After fasting, not every food is suitable for a pet. He should digest without effort. In this sense, such food is optimal:
- Boiled rice or oats;
- Boiled egg (yolk);
- Boiled chicken.
- Also suitable therapeutic food for cats for special purposes. Many manufacturing companies have such products. Special food should be used exclusively for the treatment of food disorders. The packaging must be marked accordingly.
- If diarrhea in the kitten
- Treatment of diarrhea in small kittens proceeds in the same way as in adult individuals. The only thing that a baby can not go hungry for more than 12 hours. And in order to avoid diarrhea, we need to study what it is possible to feed the kitten. The diet should correspond to the age.
- The cause of diarrhea in kittens is most often the excommunication from mother's milk and the transition to solid food. Also the crumb can be tortured by worms.
- If this has happened, then the pet has diarrhea, then it is necessary to start immediately to find out the causes and treatment.
Feed your pet properly and with quality feeds, watch a video about it, wish a pleasant viewing.
Diarrhea in a cat. Methods of treatment.
Date: January 11
Diarrhea(for scientific diarrhea), like vomiting, is another malaise that can be a symptom of a variety of diseases and disorders in cats. By the smell, color and consistency of the stool, you can determine the possible causes of the ailment.
1. The most common causes of diarrhea aremalnutrition. andchange in cat ration. Therefore, all innovations should be gradual, otherwise the cat will have an upset stomach. Also, diarrhea often happens in cats that are overfed or fed with fatty meat, milk or raw fish.
2. The cause of diarrhea can be andwater change. Therefore, if you travel with a cat or take a cat to the cottage, we recommend that you always bring a supply of water that is familiar to your cat.
3. The next reason is the usualpoisoning with spoiled products.
Cats, which are released on the street, are threatened with indigestion due to eating game, food remnants, spoiled foods, and various poisons. Although domestic cats that are constantly in the room, can also eat a spoiled product, for example, rummaging in a garbage can.
4. It happens that the cat's body can not digest certain foodsdue to food allergy. It is especially risky to feed the cat with the leftovers from your table, as this can cause diarrhea.
The organism of most of the kittens, weaned from the mother, loses the ability to absorb lactose. In kittens who eat solid food, the enzyme called lactase, which is necessary for digesting milk sugar, is no longer produced. Therefore, having eaten a bowl of milk, adult cats often experience an attack of diarrhea.
5. The cause of diarrhea (diarrhea), in addition to food, can also bestress. A mild or severe attack of diarrhea can occur in the cat during a visit to a veterinarian, stay in a hotel for pets or during other serious life shocks.
If the diarrhea lasts more than a day. there is a dangerdehydration of the cat's body. If the animal is not given veterinary care, it may fall into a state of shock.
CAUSES OF PONOS IN THE CAT
When should I go to the vet?
A cat who has an upset stomach should be examined by a veterinarian if:
diarrhea lasts more than a day;
diarrhea accompanied by vomiting, fever and drowsiness;
the cat has pale gums and a nose;
in feces contains blood or mucus;
feces produce a putrid smell;
feces have an unusual color (normally they should be brown);
you have fears that the cat has poisoned.
Often the color of the stool can determine the causes of diarrhea.
- Brownis the norm.
- Black as resin- digested blood, possibly bleeding in the upper part of the digestive tract.
- With an admixture of fresh scarlet blood- bleeding in the lower part of the digestive tract.
- Green or Yellow- the food remained undigested due to the fact that it passed through the digestive tract too quickly.
- Very light- liver disease is possible.
- Gray, feces exude stench- undigested food.
- Very watery- irritation of the digestive tract, insufficient absorption of fluid in the intestine.
- An oily species- Insufficient absorption.
- Soft, unformed stool of normal color- excessive feeding, changes in the diet, poor quality food, parasites.
TREATMENT OF PONOSE IN CAT IN HOME ENVIRONMENTS
Treatment of diarrheain cases of moderate upset stomach, which is not accompanied by any other anxiety symptoms, the animal can be treated at home, following the recommendations of the veterinarian.
First of all, check the foods that you are feeding the cat. Eliminate from the diet those foods that could cause food upset.
IMPORTANT!Do not feed the cat for 24 hours, you can give lick ice cubes.
After a day, you can offer the cat a little light food, which will not irritate the digestive tract.
Diarrhea in a small kittenmost often occurs because of its excommunication from the mother's milk. In this case, diarrhea will pass by itself after a while.
The second cause of diarrhea in a kitten - can be worms. In this case, it is necessary to take the hue to the veterinarian and give medications from intestinal parasites on the recommendation of the doctor, and also to make all the necessary vaccinations. About the schedule of vaccination of kittens can be read in our article:Standard vaccination schedule for the kitten
Keep track of the behavior and mood of your cat, be careful and remember we are responsible for those who have tamed!
Health to you and your pets!
About the Blog Advertising Contacts
Remember that with full or partial use of materials from the site - an active link to kotblog.ru is required!
All articles posted on the site are for informational purposes, all your actions are carried out at your own risk. On the treatment of animals you need to contact veterinarians!
Sources: http://lapku.ru/koshki/zdorove-koshek/pochemu-u-koshki-ponos-prichiny-i-lechenie.html, http://koti-koshki.ru/u-koshki-ponos.html, http://www.kotblog.ru/lechenie-koshek/ponos-u-koshki-sposoby-lecheniya.html
No comments yet!
Share your opinion