Possible causes of burning tongue and methods of treatment
The cause of burning and the treatment for each person are individual. And age does not matter. This manifestation can occur both in the child and in the adult. Only the causes of burning in the mouth can be completely different - from the banal trauma of the tongue to serious pathologies of the internal organs. Consider the most common causes of burning on the lips and tongue in a child and an adult, the symptomatology of the phenomenon, methods of getting rid of discomfort by traditional and folk methods..
- 1Clinic of the phenomenon
2Causes of burning
- 2.1Diseases of a general nature
- 2.2Pathology of the oral cavity
- 3Methods of therapy
Clinic of the phenomenon.
Burning in the mouth and tongue is a fairly common problem. But sensations can be varied and one should differentiate simple irritation with spicy or spicy food, which causes temporary inflammation and irritation, from the manifestation of the disease.
Most often, burning in the language is called glossalgia.
It is characterized by the following symptoms:
- decreased saliva and dry mouth;
- burning sensation resembles a tingle, a slight tingling, a tongue itching;
- conversation at a normal pace under normal voice mode (not on elevated tones) provokes fatigue of the speech apparatus;
- on the tip of the tongue and at the root the intensity of the burning is different;
- dryness leads to numbness in the tongue and on the palate.
Often unpleasant sensations are localized on the tip of the tongue and on the sides. Less common burning sensation is observed on the root part. Sometimes it spreads to the esophagus and lips.
Often, there is no external change in the oral cavity.
But in some cases, there may be:
- swelling of the body;
- appearance of white or yellowish plaque (sometimes quite intense);
- increased papillae in the tongue;
- in elderly patients, there may be an increase in veins.
Nervous patients who suspect a serious illness develop nervous disorders. There are violations in the work of the cardiovascular system, bile ducts, sleep disturbance.
Causes of burning
The most common cause is organ trauma. This happens during chewing food, involuntarily in a dream or after dental manipulation. Specific treatment in such cases is not required, only rinsing the mouth with antiseptic solutions to avoid infection. This is unpleasant, but also the least dangerous.
There are other causes of burning tongue, which require special attention to avoid complications. They can be divided into two subspecies - diseases of the oral cavity and general.
Diseases of a general nature
Causes of burning a language of a general nature may indicate the presence of diseases of internal organs:
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and gallbladder. In this case, there is bitterness and burning caused by excess bile secreted by the organ;
- chronic colitis, hepatitis and holitsestit;
- anemia of various genesis (in particular iron deficiency);
- insufficient quantity of vitamins, macro- and microelements causes burning of the tongue and lips, and also the palate;
- disorders of the endocrine nature, in particular - dysfunction of the thyroid gland, causes burning in the oral cavity with the development of pain;
- esophageal reflux, caused, among other things, by malfunctions in the operation of the gallbladder, with the transfer of the contents of the stomach into the esophagus with the oral cavity;
- frequent stressful situations and emotional instability cause burning in the oral cavity due to changes in the humoral regulation of the entire body;
- taking certain medications, in particular used in the therapy of cardiovascular ailments and hypertension.
Burning of the tongue with cervical osteochondrosis is caused by insufficient blood supply to the head. Also a burning sensation in the mouth and in the tongue can cause changes in the hypothalamus.
Pathology of the oral cavity
There are several problems associated with dental manipulation performed in patients in the recent past.
- presence in the mouth of an unsuccessfully placed seal, traumatizing the tongue;
- dentures or crowns, especially at the initial stage.
But this group includes ailments that can cause not only severe pains, but also changes in the structure of the mucous membrane in the oral cavity.
- With xerostomia, dry mouth is observed, caused by inadequate production of saliva. Mucous membranes are covered with cracks, which become noticeable. Painful sensations are intensified during eating, while drinking acid-containing beverages. Xerostomia develops with dehydration and Sjogren's disease.
- Candidiasis of the mouth, very often causing burning in the mouth of children. Fungi of the genus Candida, which are the causative agents of the disease, are conditionally pathogenic flora present in the body of each person. With a decrease in protective forces in the body, their growth may exceed the permissible limits and cause an ailment.
- An allergic reaction can occur both on the components of the prosthesis or crowns, and on the use of an unsuitable toothpaste or rinse aid.
- Tooth stones (deposits) are very often formed on the surface of the teeth. They settle microbes and cause infection of the oral cavity and a burning sensation.
- Leukoplakia epithelium of the oral mucosa. This condition is characterized by the appearance of white plaques due to disruption of the epilation of the epilation. Often develops in smokers.
- Herpetic infection causes the appearance on the mucous membranes of small bubbles filled with liquid. After a while these bubbles burst and turn into erosion.
To find out why the tongue itches and there are unpleasant sensations of burning and tingling, only a specialist will help. He will prescribe an adequate treatment.
Methods of therapy.
With burning tongue, the causes and treatment will be interrelated, since burning is a symptom, not a disease itself. So, you need to treat the pathology itself, to remove its manifestation.
Burning of the tip of the tongue for dental reasons will take place after some time after their elimination:
- if the tongue itches because of an unsuccessful filling, you need to turn to a specialist and fix the situation;
- get rid of the stones and do it regularly. Use suitable toothpastes to solve the problem;
- if there is an allergy to dentures or crowns, you need to contact the dentist to replace the existing ones with similar ones, but with a different composition.
If the doctor was unable to establish the exact cause, why it itches and burns the tongue, a complete sanation mouth cavity, which makes it possible to get rid of the infection and prevent the growth of pathogens.
If the tongue does not cease to itch after this, it is necessary to consult the therapist for a general examination. It is not excluded that the patient will be sent to a narrowly specialized specialists: gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, otolaryngologist, neuropathologist. In case of detection of a problem in the baby - to the pediatrician.
What to do in case of such trouble and how to behave:
- without fail, consult a doctor and find out the cause of discomfort;
- To treat the underlying illness (if any), following the instructions of the specialist;
- Do not treat the scaly surface with fucorcin, zelenka or other products without the recommendation of a doctor;
- You can lubricate the surface, which itches, with sea buckthorn oil;
- Exclude from the diet carbonated, acidic drinks that irritate food;
- to rinse the oral cavity after each meal. To the tongue ceased to itch, do not use to rinse solutions with alcohol in the composition;
- do not smoke or drink alcohol;
- choose a toothpaste that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate;
- Chewing gum should be with xylitol and without sugar.
If you get rid of the problem, do not allow her to return and in time conduct all the necessary activities that the doctor advised..