What to do if the labia was swollen, red and itchy
This phenomenon, like reddening and itching of the labia, worries many women. The reasons for the development of discomfort can be several. The identification of a provoking factor will be of great importance in the direction of treatment. The main thing is not to stay with a doctor to avoid serious consequences. This is especially true for expectant mothers who are expecting a baby..
- 1What causes discomfort in the intimate area?
- 2The need for self-diagnosis and referral to a doctor
- 3What to do to eliminate discomfort?
What causes discomfort in the intimate area?.
All the factors that provoke unpleasant sensations in the intimate zone, can be attributed to one of several groups.
Among them are:
- non-compliance with hygiene measures;
- development of allergic reactions;
- violation of hormonal balance;
- infectious pathology of the urogenital system;
- pathological processes in internal organs;
Non-compliance with hygiene causes a violation of normal microflora. As a result, the dysbacteriosis of the vaginal mucosa develops. This is evidenced by the appearance of thrush, in which the labia scratches and disturb unpleasant (curdled) discharge.
In addition to the violation of hygiene, antibiotic use may lead to dysbiosis, wet wipes, antibacterial treatment, wearing of underwear made of synthetic materials, frequent shaving.
Allergic reactions most often arise from the use of cosmetics. Shaving of the external genitalia may be accompanied by irritation. At the same time, red spots and itchy sensations appear.
Violation of the hormonal balance (for example, when bearing a baby) leads to a weakening of the immune system and an imbalance in the acidity of the mucous membranes. The area of the external genitalia itches, there is a burning sensation of the labia. Often, these problems occur during the climacteric period. This is due to the dryness and thinning of the mucous tissues of the vulva.
Infectious pathologies of the urogenital system are in most cases characterized by reddening of the skin on the labia. If the external genital organs swelled, began to itch or a red stain appeared, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist.
A possible cause is genital herpes (occurs if the partner's mouth has been infected). The specialist after the examination, conducting additional research will determine the cause of the pathology and identify the causative agent of the disease.
The need for self-diagnosis and referral to a doctorIf there are spots on the labia, they swell and itch, then do not delay with an appointment with a doctor. Determining the importance of the success of recovery is the degree of neglect of the pathological condition. Especially it concerns diseases of internal organs and infectious processes.
When the first signs of discomfort appear, one should use self-diagnosis methods. It is necessary to exclude the existence of unprotected sexual acts in the past, to note the presence of viral diseases, other symptoms. This will allow, when referring to a specialist, to make a complete picture of the pathological process.
A sharp deterioration in the condition requires an immediate examination by a doctor. Only a gynecologist can make a final diagnosis and prescribe a treatment.
Before the survey, the following activities are allowed:
- revise the menu and exclude substances that trigger allergic reactions;
- carefully treat the choice of underwear, exclude synthetic materials (sometimes the labia is swollen due to narrow panties);
- to refuse hygienic means with flavors (especially if the labia has swelled after taking a shower or bath);
- to monitor the regularity of hygiene procedures.
In some cases, it is enough to change the means of intimate hygiene or revise the menu in order to discomfort disappeared. If there were no changes in the positive side, you should contact a specialist for help.
What to do to eliminate discomfort?.
After conducting diagnostic activities (blood tests, urine, vaginal discharge), the doctor prescribes treatment. The choice of drugs is determined by the cause of the pathology or the pathogen identified.
Most often appointed:
- antifungal agents;
- drugs that help restore the microflora of mucous tissues in dysbacteriosis;
- substitution therapy, which is necessary for age-related changes;
- antibacterial therapy in detecting an infectious process;
- calming agents of local effect for the purpose of symptomatic treatment, reduction of discomfort and calming of the reddened skin;
- Moisturizing greases to eliminate dryness of mucous membranes.
The appearance of specks, swelling, itching of the external genital organs require compulsory examination. Timely appeal to the gynecologist will prevent the development of the pathological process and its complications.
It should be remembered that in some cases to eliminate discomfort it is better to give up narrow underwear and some cosmetics. In any case, do not self-medicate..