The concept of parathyroid hormone, generally accepted indicators of the norm, dangerous causes of deviations
Vitamin D3, calcitonin and parathyroid hormone are the three components necessary for the normalization of calcium metabolism. However, it is the parathormone that is most powerful, or PTH for short. It is secreted by the parathyroid glands and is responsible not only for the absorption of calcium, but also phosphorus.
It is very important to understand what functions PTH performs, what its normal values are, and why deviations from them can occur. This is necessary so that in the event of the appearance of alarming symptoms associated with impaired calcium and phosphorus metabolism, the patient can promptly seek qualified medical assistance.to contents ↑
The concept of PTH and its main functions
So, what is a parathyroid hormone in the analysis of blood serum, and what is it responsible for?
Among the main objectives of this substance, it should be noted:
- preventing the "flushing" of a large number of calcium elements from the body;
- the ability to penetrate into the tissues that form the bones, and to extract calcium and phosphorus compounds from it, if their concentration in the blood does not meet the norm;
- with calcium oversupply of PTH contributes to the deposition of excess of it in the bones.
Vitamin D and parathyroid hormone are two closely related elements. Under the influence of PTH, there is an enhanced production of vitamin D3, which normalizes and controls the process of calcium absorption into the blood. The level of phosphorus at the same time becomes much lower, which is also important. What causes elevated blood phosphorus, see http: //vseproanalizy.ru/ fosfor-v-krovi-norma-v-analize-prichinyi-otkloneniy.html
Note. So, from the above, we can conclude that the parathyroid hormone is a parathyroid hormone that increases the level of calcium in the blood. And it is precisely because of this that the normal state of the ODE( in particular, of the bones) and its full functioning are maintained.to contents ↑
Indications for the test for PTHThe main indications for the test include:
- previously identified hypo- or hypercalcemia;
- brittle bones, resulting in frequent fractures;
- for the presence of osteoporosis symptoms;
- pathological processes identified in X-ray, CT or MRI of the vertebral region of the ridge;
- formation of bone cysts;
- suspected cancer of the thyroid or parathyroid glands;
Regarding what a parathyroid hormone test shows, it can be used to detect an increase or decrease in the level of this substance. For the analysis data to be correct, it must be properly prepared for it.to contents ↑
Features of preparation of
Preparation for analysis of parathyroid hormone involves the following activities:
- 8 hours before blood collection, you must refuse food;
- for 72 hours, do not drink alcohol;
- a few hours before blood sampling should not be smoked;
- 3 days prior to the analysis it is necessary to reduce the intensity of physical exertion to a minimum.
That's all the rules that must be followed in order for the results of analysis on PTH.But there is another factor that can distort the data - taking certain medication. These include:
- vitamins of the D group;
- steroid drugs;
- thiazide diuretics;
- phosphates and others.
These groups of drugs are quite capable of provoking significant deviations of the parathyroid hormone from the norm, increasing or, conversely, reducing its level in the patient's blood.to contents ↑
Indicators of the norm of PTH by age
The level of PTH in the blood does not depend on the gender of the patient, but is directly dependent on his age. Thus, the rate of parathyroid hormone for women and men may be as follows:
- In girls and boys under the age of 20( 22) years - 12-95 pg / ml.
- In persons of 23-70 years old - within 9.5 - 75 pg / ml.
- In patients older than 70 years, from 4.7 to 117 pg / ml.
Parathyroid hormone in women in an "interesting position" - 9.5 - 75 pg / ml.
Any deviations from these indicators are regarded as a distress signal, and therefore require additional research and immediate medical intervention.to contents ↑
Symptoms of deviations
It happens that parathyroid hormone is increased or, conversely, reduced. In this case, the patient will suffer from:
- unquenchable thirst;
- increased urination;
- muscle weakness, its hypotonia;
- muscle pain;
- brittleness and tooth loss;
- bone fragility, which often leads to fractures;
- growth retardation in children.
If these symptoms have been noticed, you should immediately consult a doctor! In the absence of timely medical intervention and adequate treatment, an advanced disease can lead to serious complications!to contents ↑
Abnormalities and methods of correction of the PTH level
A parathyroid hormone can be high or low, and there are different reasons for each of these cases. Briefly, we will see why a failure in the synthesis of PTH may occur.to contents ↑
Increasing the level of the hormone
If the parathyroid hormone is elevated, what does this indicate, and is such a deviation dangerous? It should be remembered that any violations of the hormonal background are fraught with serious threat, so you should not treat them scornfully in any way.
There are quite a few reasons why the parathyroid hormone is elevated, and each of them is associated with pathological processes occurring in the patient's body. So, often to a sharp increase in the concentration of this substance lead:
- The formation of a cancerous tumor. At the same time, it can be localized not only in the parathyroid or thyroid gland, but also in the tissues of any other internal organ.
- If the parathyroid hormone is elevated, and the calcium level remains normal, this may indicate a magnesium deficiency in the body. But such a deviation is not excluded even in cases of PChZ tumors.
- Rickets is one of the most common reasons for raising parathyroid hormone in children. This pathology is characterized by a decrease in the level of vitamin D3 to critically low levels, which, in turn, leads to the loss of calcium.
- Crohn's disease is a disease in which granulomas form on the mucous membranes of the digestive tract.
- If the parathyroid hormone is within the normal range, and calcium is significantly elevated, this may indicate the formation of an adenoma in the tissues of the parathyroid glands or the thyroid gland itself.
Also, an increase in hormone concentration may indicate the development of renal failure, an excess of vitamin D, or in non-specific colitis. Detailed information about the role of vitamin D in the body and what the deviations from the norm indicate can be found at http: //vseproanalizy.ru/. Analiz-na-vitamin-d.htmlto contents ↑
Reducing the level of PTH
- magnesium deficiency in the body;
- of surgical interventions in the area of the thyroid gland;
- acute vitamin D deficiency;
- osteolysis( a pathological process during which the destruction of bone tissue occurs).
So, having figured out what this means, if the parathyroid hormone is lowered or increased, and after finding out the exact reasons for the deviation, the doctor must prescribe the treatment necessary to normalize the level of this substance.to contents ↑
How to normalize the level of PTH?
Treatment of deviations in the parameters of parathyroid hormone depends on what its concentration is - increased and decreased, - as well as on the reasons that led to this condition. Often, it is not possible to eradicate the problem right away, so the patient may need a rather long course of therapy.
How to reduce parathyroid hormone? Often the only solution to the problem is surgery to remove the part of the thyroid or parathyroid gland where the tumor is localized.
If we are talking about cancer, the treatment of elevated parathyroid hormone also requires immediate resection of the affected gland, followed by hormone replacement therapy.
At low PTH concentrations, hormone replacement therapy is performed. Drugs are prescribed for each patient individually, and their choice is influenced by many factors, in particular the degree of deviation of the level of parathyroid hormone from generally accepted norms. Treatment of low PTH with hormonal preparations can have a different duration - from several months to several years. In severe cases( or after removal of the parathyroid glands or thyroid gland), medication can even be lifelong.