Cholesterol in pregnancy: the norm, why it rises
Bearing a child is a very quivering and crucial period in the life of any woman. And, for sure, everyone knows that the growth of the development and health of the baby depends, including on the lifestyle of the mother, and the quality of her nutrition. Therefore, during pregnancy, the leading doctor carefully monitors the various indicators and processes in the body. One of these is cholesterol in pregnant women, because a level deviation can lead to complications, diseases and other undesirable consequences.
- Norm of cholesterol in pregnancy
- What does mean increased
- How to reduce cholesterol in pregnancy?
Norm cholesterol during pregnancy
It should be noted that the process of pregnancy proceeds with each woman in its own way, according to its criteria and characteristics. But, the statistics says that high cholesterol in pregnant women, this phenomenon is quite normal, sometimes the level of the indicator almost doubles, and it is not at all scary. This is explained by the fact that during the period when the baby is born, hormonal synthesis changes in the body in a big way, the fat metabolism increases, and the adrenal glands start to utilize cholesterol more quickly and intensively.
Thus, the rate of cholesterol in pregnant women is approximately as follows:
If a normal, healthy woman, cholesterol in the range of 3 to 5 mmol / l is considered normal. A woman preparing to become a mother, the acceptable value may be from 6 to 10 mmol / l. In a pregnant woman after the age of 40, the indicator can be equal to 13 mmol / l.
Usually, by the end of pregnancy the cholesterol level begins to gradually decline and stabilize, but the rate of cholesterol in pregnant women in the 3rd trimester is evaluated by doctors very carefully, becauseAt this stage, deviations can be dangerous and threaten the fetus with the development of congenital diseases of the cardiovascular system, kidneys, pancreas and liver.to contents ↑
What means increased
Cholesterol is a fat-containing alcohol that circulates in the blood and is involved in many important movements in the body: it supports the proper functioning of the immune and nervous system, brain, hormone production, etc. High cholesterol during pregnancymore associated with physiological reasons: changes in hormonal levels, and other adaptive changes in the female body, which are necessary for the safe carrying ofbaby.
Doctors believe that high cholesterol during pregnancy does not require treatment and interventions if its level is within acceptable limits, i.e.more than about twice the norm for an ordinary adult.
If a significant increase in cholesterol is detected during pregnancy, a woman may notice a deterioration in her health, but the saddest thing is that the risk of some congenital malformations in a child increases. Therefore, the attending physician should prescribe treatment and recommend a set of measures that bring the rate to normal and in the future to avoid unpleasant consequences.to contents ↑
How to reduce cholesterol during pregnancy?
In order to maintain normal cholesterol in pregnancy, experts first of all recommend that they carefully and carefully treat their diet, becauseMost of the “excess” of this substance comes to the woman along with the food. To prevent an increase in the rate, you can if you follow some rules of nutrition:
- Eat animal fats as little as possible( fatty meats, butter, etc.), fried foods;
- Where possible, try replacing sunflower oil with olive oil, use it for salad dressing and in cooking;
- Enter marine varieties such as sardine, salmon or tuna into the diet, but you need to eat it, of course, in moderation;
- Future mothers will find it helpful to lean on vegetables and fruits, especially good against cholesterol excesses: tangerines, fresh cranberries, apples, currants and raspberries, blueberries, garlic, carrots and peppers, and in unlimited quantities you can consume greens: parsley, dill,basil and others;
- It will be useful during pregnancy to exclude, or at least to minimize the consumption of fresh pastries, confectionery. Keep yourself in the hands of sweets, chocolates, waffles and the like, firstly because it is another source of high cholesterol, and secondly, because a woman during the period of bearing a child, you need to keep weight under special control;
- When choosing tea treats, pay attention to honey, dried fruits, nuts, bran, and marmalade.
Due to unbalanced nutrition, hypoproteinemia during pregnancy also often occurs, a condition in which the concentration of protein in the blood decreases sharply. Such a pathological deviation in the mother can lead to the development of fetal abnormalities and developmental abnormalities in the baby.
It is useful for future moms to go for walks, breathe fresh air, and perform special gymnastic exercises.
If you regularly monitor your lifestyle and nutrition, but still cholesterol is elevated during pregnancy, you better rely on the opinion of a specialist, listen and follow all the recommendations of your gynecologist. In some cases, the doctor may advise you to undergo medication, usually using statins.
In order for high cholesterol levels not to cause you concern, try to prevent this situation and observe preventive measures.
God bless you and be happy!