Why is TSH elevated in women, and how is it dangerous?
The normal functioning of all organs and systems is the key to the health of the female body. One of the key roles in this process is the functioning of the endocrine system, the largest and most significant component of which is the thyroid gland. Her work is regulated by the pituitary gland, which, in turn, is responsible for the production of hormones - T3( triiodothyronine), T4( tetraiodothyronine), TG( thyroglobulin) and TSH( thyroid stimulating hormone).
- The functions of TSH in the female's bodyor serious health problems are not worth it. But sometimes their level — especially the level of thyroid-stimulating hormone — begins to rise, which can have serious complications. That is why it is necessary to know about the causes and consequences of elevated TSH in women, to be able to recognize this deviation and respond to its symptoms in a timely manner. to contents ↑
The functions of TSH in the body of a woman
First of all, let's look at what affects TSH in women. This hormone is very important for the coordinated work of the entire endocrine system, since it is responsible for:
- production of thyroid hormones T3 and T4 in necessary quantities;
- lipid, carbohydrate, protein synthesis;
- the full functioning of the cardiovascular system;
- female reproductive system( in particular, the production of sex hormones);
- stimulation of psychosomatic reactions.
Note. The generally accepted indicators of the level of thyroid-stimulating hormone in the blood today are only relative values. Scientists have not yet reached a unanimous decision on what the exact rate of this substance should be. This is explained by the fact that the concentration of TSH in the human body can change throughout the day, besides it is influenced by a number of other factors.to contents ↑
Causes of increased TSH in women
If TSH in women is elevated - what does this mean? Not in all cases the high level of this hormone indicates the development of pathologies of the thyroid gland or the endocrine system as a whole. So, in women who have taken hormonal contraceptives for a long period of time, the level of all hormones in the body will be somewhat elevated, and this is absolutely normal. As soon as OK is canceled, the concentration of TSH and other hormonal compounds will gradually return to normal.
Before studying the causes of high thyroid-stimulating hormone in women, it is necessary to understand the question, is hypothyroidism a pathology in which TSH is elevated or lowered? In concepts such as hypo-and hyperthyroidism is not easy to understand, especially for women who first heard these terms. Under such conditions, not only thyrotropin itself is taken into account, but also other iodine-containing hormones produced by alkali.
Actually, the word “hypo” means “less, lower”, however, if TSH is elevated against the background of decreasing T3 and T4 concentrations( this is what happens most often), the answer to the question whether TSH is elevated or lowered is simple: the level of thyrotropicHomone will be higher than normal, and triiodothyronine and thyroxine - significantly lower.to contents ↑
Causes of hyperthyroidism
So why does TSH increase in women? The main causes are 2:
- Thyroid disease. In particular, diffuse toxic goiter, which is an inflammatory process occurring in the tissues of one or both of the thyroid lobes. At the same time, the production of other thyroid hormones, thyroxine and triiodothyronine, is inhibited. For this reason, if the question arises, what does this mean, if the TSH is elevated, and T4 is lowered, this may indicate development of DTZ, or else another thyroid pathology.
- Disorders in the hypothalamic-pituitary system. As a consequence, the control of the production of thyroid-stimulating hormone becomes problematic. Such anomalies occur due to the development of oncological or inflammatory processes in the GHS.If such deviations are ignored for a long time, the consequences will be extremely dangerous and serious.
In addition, a high level of TSH in women may be due to:
- previous surgical interventions( in particular, cholecystectomy);
- the course of treatment of pathologies of the thyroid gland with the use of radioactive iodine;
- presence of cardiovascular pathologies.
Treatment is prescribed by an endocrinologist, depending on the reasons for increased TSH in women. The main task is to bring the level of thyroid stimulating hormone back to normal, eliminating( if possible) the pathology that led to hyperthyroidism.to contents ↑
Symptoms and treatment of hyperthyroidism
Elevated hormone TSH in women is manifested:
- dryness, peeling and irritation of the epidermal covers;
- joint function deterioration;
- constant drowsiness, even after a good night's rest;
- swelling of the arms and legs;
- development of iron deficiency anemia;
- frequent mood swings;
- irrational irritation, irascibility;
- depressive state;
- apathy to the outside world;
- inhibited thought processes;
- decreased concentration;
- memory loss;
- sharp weight gain;
- impaired stool( more often - constipation);
- decrease in body temperature.
All the above symptoms of elevated TSH in women can manifest themselves, both comprehensively and individually. But in any case, they should not be ignored, since this can lead to very serious and unfavorable consequences.to contents ↑
Principles of treatment
How to lower TSH in women, what measures should be taken for this, and can one get rid of the ailment on his own? First of all, it is necessary to establish the reasons for the deviation and to direct all efforts to eliminate them.
Thus, drug treatment for elevated TSH in women can only be prescribed by an endocrinologist( or another specialist, if the problem lies not in thyroid disease).If hypothyroidism has been diagnosed, it is advisable to use synthetic hormone analogues produced by the thyroid gland. Eutirox and L-thyroxine preparations are quite effective. Especially beneficial their use affects the body of women during menopause.
A very important and important point in the treatment of hypothyroidism with medical drugs - dosage calculation. Since it is practically impossible to do this on your own, it is better to entrust this question to a qualified specialist. An overdose of hormonal drugs can lead to serious violations in the body!to contents ↑
Diet for high TSH in women
Nutrition for elevated TSH in women plays a crucial role in the course of treatment. If you do not stick to a diet, then it will be difficult to lower the level of thyroid-stimulating hormone even with systematic administration of medications. In addition, if the cause of hypothyroidism is not associated with any pathologies, only a correct, balanced menu will quickly bring the level of thyroid hormones in order.
Thus, adherence to a diet with elevated TSH in women requires the mandatory inclusion in the diet:
- Fatty fish. They will provide the woman's body with Omega-3 acids, which are responsible for the full functioning of the reproductive system, as well as for the normal hormonal balance in the body. But do not eat fatty fish daily - it’s enough to eat it 1-2 times a week.
- Coconut oil, which helps maintain a normal body metabolism.
- Algae, a generous source of iodine.
- Goat Milk Yoghurt.
- Sprouted flaxseeds.
- Croup, which are enriched with fiber, necessary to maintain a normal metabolic process.
- Bone Broths( Beef or Chicken).
- Vegetables and fruits.
At the same time it is necessary to avoid the use of:
- cauliflower and fresh white cabbage;
- radishes;Red cabbage
- untreated tap water;
- products containing gluten;
- dairy products;
- sugar in large quantities, etc.
If hyperthyroidism is not treated, it can have dire consequences. Among the most common complications of this pathological condition should be noted:
- heart rhythm disturbance and the heart as a whole;
- disorders of the nervous system, resulting in neurosis, psychological and mental disorders;
- decrease in the functioning of the reproductive system of a woman( in particular, ovulation slows down significantly, interruptions in the menstrual cycle occur, secondary infertility develops, the risk of noninfectious diseases of the genital tract increases, etc.);
- occurrence of ophthalmic problems.
What to say about what the consequences may be for the skin. Epidermal covers become too vulnerable even to minor external stimuli, the risk of developing dermatological pathologies( fungal, bacterial, inflammatory) increases.
To avoid such unpleasant consequences, you should not ignore the alarming symptoms. The sooner a woman turns to a doctor for help, the more favorable the prognosis for her full recovery will be!