Why triglycerides are raised or lowered
The person who received the results of his blood test, of course, wants to understand each indicator, especially if there are deviations from the norm. If your triglycerides are elevated according to the results of the study, and what this means, you do not quite understand, then this article is just for you.
- When elevated triglycerides in the blood become dangerous?
- Triglycerides increased: causes
- How to reduce triglycerides in the blood?
- Triglycerides lowered: what does this mean?
- In which case an analysis is prescribed and how to take it?
Triglycerides are a type of fat that enters the body with food and is used to extract and store energy. They are very important for normal well-being and livelihoods, but only within certain limits. Excessive increase or decrease in triglycerides in the blood is fraught with various diseases.to contents ↑
When elevated triglycerides in the blood become dangerous?
Doctors believe that the acceptable level of these fats in the blood can be 150-200mg / dl. With such indicators, the risk of cardiovascular and other diseases is at a minimum. But recent scientific trends indicate that triglycerides should not be increased above 100mg / dl, because this may lead to the emergence of serious diseases. Triglycerides can be measured in mmol / L.In these units, the optimal interval, characteristic of a healthy organism, is 1.1-2.26 mmol / l.
Speaking about the normal values of triglycerides, it should be remembered that two different types of cholesterol are constantly present in human blood. One of them does not represent a threat and can be conditionally called “good”, the second can be described as “evil”.So if a healthy person has a level of "good" cholesterol much higher than the level of "evil", high triglycerides do not carry any particular danger. Unfortunately, an increased level of triglycerides in the blood is often added to a high percentage of "bad" cholesterol, and we will consider the causes and consequences of this below.
The amount of triglycerides, taken as the norm, also depends on age and sex. Over the years, the person has more and more of them, so the criterion of the optimal level becomes less stringent.to contents ↑
Triglycerides are elevated: causes of
High levels of triglycerides in the blood can be hereditary or be acquired during life. The latter contributes to the abuse of fatty foods, alcohol, sedentary lifestyle. In addition, often the causes of elevated triglycerides in the blood are associated with one of the following conditions:
- Pregnancy. During such a global restructuring of the female body, the work of the endocrine glands is disrupted, as a result of which the level of fats becomes higher than normal.
- Chronic inflammation of the kidneys or their failure.
- Disruption of the thyroid gland;
- Consequences of diabetes;
- Myocardial Infarction;
When the blood test shows “triglycerides are elevated”, the danger to the body is not so much their blood content, but the diseases that can be caused by it. All diseases that we have already mentioned when describing the causes of deviations can also be caused by an increase in triglycerides, because this indicator of blood can be both a consequence and a root cause of conditions dangerous for the body. These are:
- Down Syndrome;
- Ischemic Heart Disease;
- , etc.
When an elevated triglyceride is obtained in the analysis, it is necessary to take a number of actions that will help reduce the risk of getting the above diseases.to contents ↑
How to reduce triglycerides in the blood?
The very first thing that needs to be done when eliminating this abnormality in the blood is getting rid of the abuse of alcohol and fatty foods. It is recommended that they be abandoned at first. Often, high cholesterol and triglycerides are observed in overweight people caused by overweight and unhealthy diets. In this case, be sure to start a diet, otherwise the triglycerides in the blood will be elevated for a long time.
The products with the lowest triglyceride content include:
- Dried beans.
Regular consumption of fish and seafood reduces triglycerides by up to 50% per month. If you do not like this food, you can add to your diet medication using fish oil, that is, Omega-3 fatty acids.
But what should definitely be abandoned in order to see in our analysis results a reduced level of triglycerides, so it is from products that promote the accumulation of fat in the body:
- Sweet soda and juice;
- Salo, purchased sausages;
- Artificial sweeteners;
- Food cooked in large quantities of butter.
This type of food also applies to people whose immediate family has suffered a myocardial infarction, are prone to obesity or other problems caused by a high amount of triglycerides.
The main thing we urge you to do is not to overeat and think about what you eat, especially if you have high blood triglycerides. What does it mean? It is important to correlate your diet with the energy you plan to spend. If you eat a chocolate bar and go to an intense physical workout, it will do you much less harm than if you do it before bedtime. Sports and an active lifestyle also will not allow your body to accumulate an excess of unhealthy fats.
If for some reason you can not follow a strict diet or it does not help, you should pay attention to drugs that reduce triglycerides in the blood.
- Fibrates are derivatives of fibric acid that attract water and fat molecules to themselves, due to which some triglycerides are eliminated from the body, and fibrates also inhibit the production of substances responsible for transporting triglycerides in the liver.
- Nicotinic acid - has an effect similar to the work of fibrates, but it significantly increases the level of "good" cholesterol, which was discussed above.
- Statins are a whole group of drugs that are needed if you are looking for how to lower triglycerides in the blood. Their action is focused on combating "evil" cholesterol and reducing its total amount by inhibiting the enzyme reductase.
- Omega-3 - fish oil capsule form, which we have already mentioned, is a very effective and at the same time low-cost medicine for achieving low levels of triglycerides in the blood.
Before taking action to reduce triglycerides in the blood, discuss the results of the analysis with your doctor. In some cases, especially during pregnancy or the presence of any diseases, this should be done very carefully and carefully.to contents ↑
Triglycerides are lowered: what does this mean?
From a diagnostic point of view, a high triglyceride content is more dangerous for a patient than a low one, because it can cause a number of very dangerous diseases. Low triglycerides can not cause serious abnormalities in the body, but it can indicate them.
A complete lack or too little accumulation of fat in the body may indicate:
- Extremely inadequate nutrition.
- Take certain medications, including vitamin C or fish oil;
- Chronic lung disease;
- Deviations in the thyroid gland;
- Problems with the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, because triglycerides are absorbed here.
- Disturbance of absorption of substances in the body.
When looking for the causes of low triglycerides, you need to know other blood test results.to contents ↑
In which case an analysis is prescribed and how to take it?
In case of suspicion or treatment of diseases that are caused by abnormalities in the amount of triglycerides, the patient must pass a blood test for lipid profile. In addition to triglycerides, this list includes an analysis of cholesterol, atherogenicity, etc.
A healthy person over the age of 20 is recommended to do this analysis regularly every 5 years. If in life there are several factors that contribute to the accumulation of fat, the regularity of blood donation for this analysis should be increased.
Blood is taken from a vein, the patient must be tested on an empty stomach, when at least 10 hours have passed since the last meal. At the same time, physical and psychological stress, smoking, and the reception on the eve of alcoholic beverages or fatty foods can affect the reliability of the result. In this regard, before the analysis is to refrain from the above factors.
If a person has suffered any acute illness, for example, myocardial infarction, the result will be overestimated in a few more months.
Even if triglycerides are lowered and you have not faced their elevated levels throughout your life, you cannot exclude 100% the risk of cardiovascular diseases. In any case, you need to adhere to a healthy lifestyle, proper nutrition and regularly check your health with a doctor.
God bless you!