How to pass a complete blood count
Sooner or later, everyone has to pass some kind of analysis. But, not everyone knows how to take a complete blood count correctly, and to prepare for laboratory research. Indeed, non-observance of certain rules before the surrender can lead to inaccurate or completely wrong conclusion. You will have to re-study.
- Rules and preparation for the complete blood count
- Where do they get the complete blood count?
- How to pass a complete blood count to children?
Complete blood count is the most frequent test that is recommended for each treatment at the clinic for various diseases, for prophylactic purposes, as well as for hiring, at planned commissions, during registration during pregnancy, and for people with chronic diseases for continuous monitoringstates. But what gives a complete blood count, what information carries, consider the main indicators.
- Hemoglobin. The hemoglobin level shows how oxygen from the lungs circulates through the tissues and organs. A decrease in the rate can lead to anemia( anemia), and a significant increase in blood clots.
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and sedimentation rate( ESR).The level of ESR determines the quantity, quality, form of red blood cells, as well as the protein component and blood viscosity.
- Platelets. They are responsible for blood clotting and deviation from the norm may indicate inflammatory processes or a negative situation after surgery.
- Leukocytes. A very important indicator in the diagnosis. These are white blood cells. Their main function is to protect the body from germs and viruses, that is, it is a kind of blood immunity. With the help of leukocyte levels, various infections, pathologies, inflammations and allergic reactions are detected.
- Color indicator. This enzyme is important for suspected anemia.
- Basophils. Cells responsible for the level of secreted histamine. With it, you can identify reactions to a particular medicine or food.
- Eosinophils. They fight parasites and allergies. With them you can detect purulent infections, tumors.
Rules and preparation for the complete blood test
In order to get a reliable result, preparation is extremely important before you go for a complete blood count.
General requirements for blood donation:
- 2 weeks before the analysis, stop taking medicines, especially antibiotics( unless you are examining the concentration of the drug in the blood);
- For a few days, discard fried, fatty, and alcoholic beverages, this may affect the level of white blood cells;
- 60 minutes before serving do not smoke;
- For half an hour, do not commit physical and psychological stress, and eliminate thermal procedures( do not take a steam bath in the bathroom or in the bath).
- A complete blood count should be taken on an empty stomach( that is, after the last meal, at least 8 hours have passed), there are exceptions, when it is allowed to drink unsweetened tea an hour before the test and eat an apple. You can also drink water before donating blood.
- Testing is not recommended after physiotherapy and reflexology, X-ray, rectal examination and ultrasound.
- When to take a complete blood count? The ideal time is from 7-00 am to 12-00, as some indicators may fluctuate throughout the day.
- When donating blood for sugar( glucose) it is not advisable to chew chewing gum and brush your teeth. Tea and coffee are contraindicated in the morning( even without sugar).
Many subjects are interested in the question, why should we donate blood on an empty stomach? This is because if you eat before the analysis, the result can be significantly distorted. What happens if you don’t give blood on an empty stomach? The fact is that the absorption of nutrients can affect the concentration of proteins and fats in the blood, as well as other enzymes and compounds, in addition to this, the hormonal level and viscosity of the blood can change.
If a complete blood count is prescribed, the preparation of the patient should be previously voiced by the attending physician, this is important in the diagnosis.to contents ↑
Where do you get a complete blood count?
How to take a complete blood count is of interest to many, especially in highly indecisive individuals. For this study, capillary blood is sufficient, which is taken from the finger. The nurse pierces the ring finger with a special needle( scarifier), then blood is collected in a special tube and sent for further investigation. The procedure is usually not last more than a minute, and the pain is almost absent. Now, with the development of medicine, in many clinics, a complete blood test is taken from a vein, as it is believed that the result may be slightly distorted due to compression( spasm) of the capillaries during the injection by the scarifier, in addition, some of the elements may settle on the walls of the tubewhere blood is collected from the finger. But this does not mean that you will come across excessive pain and discomfort. Modern technologies make it possible to take blood from a vein with the help of a vacuum in the Wackutainer system. Blood is pumped into a disposable tube.to contents ↑
How to pass a complete blood count to children?
Babies have to donate blood for tests from birth, in the maternity hospital, besides babies and children up to 3 years old, blood is taken before each vaccination, in order to track his health condition. Then it is necessary to pass regular commissions for admission to kindergarten, for issuing a voucher to a camp or sanatorium, and in many other circumstances. Your task is to properly prepare the child for blood donation so that the doctor does not get false indicators.
The blood of babies is taken more often from the finger. But often moms are interested, if a complete blood count is prescribed, is it possible to eat? It is important to pass the baby’s morning blood on an empty stomach, and at least a few hours to eliminate the intake of any food, including breast milk( at least 2-3 hours).
While waiting for your turn, try to take the child and distract from the upcoming procedure. Play a quiet word game or read a book. If a child cries hard during blood donation, the main role of a lab technician or honey.sisters quickly take blood to the result was the most truthful.
Complete blood count is informative and truthful when all the rules of preparation are followed. Observing the requirements, you will not mislead the doctor or doubt.