Red swelling - what is it?
Oncological disease is an atypical process of growth of mutated cells. During malignant growth, they penetrate into nearby tissues, causing damage to nerve endings, blood vessels, and connective structures. As the pathological focus increases, cancer cells form in the affected area, which serve as a source of nutrition for a cancerous tumor.
Red swellingIs one of the symptoms of skin cancer or hemangioma. In patients with this pathology, in addition to local manifestation, systemic intoxication develops.
Causes, risk factors and signs
A red tumor can occur for the following reasons:
- Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- Carrying out the course of ionizing treatment.
- Family predisposition.
- Chronic trauma of the area of moles, pigment spots and nevi.
- Rebirth of scars and precancerous conditions of the epidermis.
The signs of a red tumor depend on the type of tumor:
Squamous cell carcinoma:
The red tumor on the skin in this case may have the form of a nodular compaction, a plaque or a bleeding plaque. For the development of the disease, early metastasis to distant organs is considered to be typical.
Basal cell carcinoma:
This type of skin oncology has the most favorable course, since it does not form secondary foci of malignant growth. The red tumor on the body, mainly, is localized in open areas. The mutation zone is a bleeding ulcer, which gradually increases in volume.
The most malignant growth of atypical cells, which already in the initial period forms multiple metastases to the lungs, metastases to the liver and other internal organs. A tumor of red color is formed in places of pigment accumulation (birthmarks, nevi). The sign of the disease is a change in the color and size of the pigmentation spot.
Symptoms of vascular oncology
Hemangioma is a benign neoplasm of vascular origin, often manifested in childhood. The red tumor on the face does not cause any particular anxiety, except cosmetic discomfort.
The main predisposing factors are:
- genetic susceptibility;
- chronic inflammation of the vascular system;
- exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
Key hemangioma symptoms include:
- the formation of epidermis hyperemia. For example, the red swelling on the leg with finger pressure becomes white.
- the pathological focus has a smooth outer surface.
- The area of the lesion a few millimeters rises above the skin.
Basic principles of diagnosis
The establishment of a diagnosis, as a rule, does not cause special difficulties. Oncological vigilance arises from the doctor on the basis of an external examination. The final diagnosis is made using a biopsy, which consists of puncture or surgical removal of a small area of pathological tissue and histological analysis. Microscopic examination determines the stage and type of cell mutation.
See also:Vascular cancer: photos, causes, treatment, prognosis
How to treat red swelling on the skin?
The main way to treat this disease is surgery, which consists in complete excision of the tumor. Surgery in almost 100% excludes relapse during the initial stages of growth. The operation involves local anesthesia.
In most cases, before a radical operation, specialists prescribe a course of ionizing radiation. Radiation therapy is indicated for malignant skin lesions. For examplered swelling on the armwith signs of melanoma in the preoperative period is exposed to training with highly active radiology beams. Gamma therapy destroys atypical cells in the active phase and thereby stabilizes cancer growth.
The duration and number of radiotherapy sessions is determined individually and depends on the patient's overall medical condition.
Chemotherapy in such cases is limited, which is due to the systemic effects of cytostatic agents. Such treatment detoxifies atypical elements at all stages of the disease. Cytostatics are indicated in the presence of metastases in the lymph nodes and internal organs.
Red tumor - treatment without surgery
This group of medical measures perform bloodless and precise excisions of pathologically altered tissues. The only drawback of these interventions is the possibility of removing seals in the early stages.
The low-traumatic methods of anticancer therapy include:
- Laser therapy. Laser therapy allows you to layer-by-layer the neoplasm, which is located near the vital organs. The red tumor under the eye in particular is perfectly amenable to removal by a laser beam, under the influence of which the cancerous tissues simply evaporate.
- Cryotherapy. Local application of ultralow temperatures causes destruction of the pathological focus. Cryodestruction is a completely bloodless technique, which is very important when placing oncology in a large number of blood vessels.Red swelling under the tongue,in most cases, is subjected to deep freezing with liquid nitrogen.
- Electrocoagulation. The removal of electric current is performed, mainly, vascular growths of benign nature.
It is important to know:Cancer of veins
Forecast and what to expect?
The squamous and melanoma form of cancer has an unfavorable prognosis, which is due to active infiltration growth and early metastasis. Basal cell neoplasm, as a rule, is well treatable, but prone to frequent relapses.
Red swellingof blood vessels with superficial localization has a positive result of treatment. Surgical dissection of hemangioma ends with a complete cure of the patient..