Mole grows: 9 signs of cancer
Small birthmarks (nevi) usually appear in childhood or adolescence, although sometimes they are present at birth. They consist of pigmented cells - melanocytes. Education, mostly flat, but there are also sublime. Typically, a round or oval regular shape.
Usually, throughout life, nevi do not change in appearance. Also, after 40 years, a new pigmentation rarely occurs. But sometimes a person in adulthood begins to notice thatgrowing birthmark. This situation should not be ignored, since the emergence of a new or rapid growth of an old nevus may be the main sign of skin cancer (melanoma).
Signs of good quality
Signs of benignity of a birthmark:
Not all moles are the same. They differ in color, shape, and appearance. In order to accurately determine the state of the formation that has arisen, it is necessary to take into account such main characteristics of the usual non-racial formation:
- Uniform pigmentation: bodily, yellow, yellow-brown or dark brown.
- The shape is flat or convex.
- Surface hairy or warty.
- Absence of any unpleasant sensations, such as itching, bleeding, a condition when the mole is hurt, etc.
Abnormal non-cancerous moles
There is a special group of pigmented skin lesions in terms of symptoms very similar to melanoma, but still not cancerous. These are dysplastic nevi. They are more prone to malignant transformation, but this happens very rarely.
There are also cases of transformation of the usual birthmark into an atypical spot. Therefore, it is desirable to consider the condition under whichbirthmark began to grow. First you need to distinguish a dangerous formation from a dysplastic nevus. It is characterized by the following features:
- The size that ranges from 6 mm to 12 mm in diameter.
- The presence of more than one shade of brown or black, sometimes the inclusion of pink and bluish colors.
- Surface rough, inhomogeneous.
- The boundaries of education are indistinct, disappearing into the surrounding skin.
- Ability to develop even after 35 years.
Independently it is extremely difficult to determine which one is a nevus prone to malignant degeneration, so it is better to seek advice from a dermatologist.
Important to know: Malignant birthmarks: photo and description
Why does the birthmark grow?
Mostly, the reason for this condition lies in the previous use of one of the methods of partial biopsy. In this case, the formation is not completely removed, but simply shaved from the surface of the skin along a tangent. Thus, in the dermis and subcutaneous layers, the "roots" of the nevus remain, capable of resuming growth.
If the first removal of tissue was given for malignant studies, then there is no need for repeated analyzes. But in order to save peace, it is better to conduct a second analysis.
Important to know: A black mole can go to cancer? A photo
Moles that turn into cancer: characteristic signs
Of moles usually develops a rare, but potentially dangerous form of cancer - melanoma. Clear distinction of appearance is absent. But it is necessary to pay attention to such important features which testify to the cancer transformation and accompany the growth of the formation:
- In the melanoma mole there is always a ulcerous surface that constantly emits a liquid or bleeds.
- Malignant lesions contain several colors. As a rule, it is blue, dark purple, red bright or baked, deep black, orange.
- Isolation in the nevus structure of spots of a different color, which were previously absent.
- Any development and modification of an ordinary birthmark is a warning sign that can not be neglected. The situation whenbirthmark grows and hurtsshould cause fear. Melanoma tends to increase rapidly in size, especially to grow in height. Sometimes there is a condition in which a part of the mole is allegedly raised.
- Soreness is another condition of potentially oncological degeneration. Often it appears as a concomitant factor along with such as roughness, change in appearance, increase in size, etc.
- Birthmark itches and grows- not a very favorable symptom. Sometimes itching alone indicates a mutation of cells. Growth at the same time emphasizes the seriousness of the condition. This is not necessarily an oncological degeneration, but it's worth checking.
- It is suspicious if the pigmentation begins to exceed 6 mm, and also branch out to the sides.
- The boundaries of education have lost their previous form. In particular, they become indistinct, torn, blurred.
- When comparing halves of the birthmark, it can be seen that they do not correspond to each other. For confidence through the middle, you can draw an imaginary line.
What if the mole grows?
If any changes in the birthmark are detected, it is recommended immediately to consult a dermatologist and determine the conditions for the transformation.
It is important not to try to get rid of the birthmark on your own, which grows without additional examination, since shaving, cauterization, destruction by electric current or chemicals are capable of provoking a rapid rate of oncological process.
Definition of the final diagnosis
Diagnosis of melanoma can be a difficult task for specialists. Therefore, they will conduct a series of studies to establish the ultimate cause of aggressive growth:
- A full survey of the birthmark and the area around it.
- Collecting anamnesis. The doctor can ask about how long a particular nevus is on the body, when exactly the development began, how long is this period, were there cases of skin cancer in the family or close relatives and etc.
- A biopsy foresees tissue removal from the harassing area. Also, a small number of elements are removed from the unchanged site to establish an accurate diagnosis. Remote particles are examined in the laboratory.
- The best way to examine suspicious pigmentation is to perform an excisional biopsy. With local anesthesia with a scalpel, the surgeon removes the entire nevus, including the subcutaneous part of it, as well as the surrounding tissue. This allows you to accurately track the condition of the pigmented spot.
When a person discovers thatgrowing birthmark, do not delay visiting the oncologist. It is better to survey the new formation as soon as possible, so that later you do not regret the lost time..