How to recognize cancer moles yourself?
Malignant degeneration can undergo all nevi and pigmentation spots. In most casescancerousmolesIs melanoma. This is the most aggressive tumor of the skin, which already at an early stage of its development forms metastases in distant organs and systems.
Squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell carcinoma may sometimes have the appearance of a nevus in the initial stage.
How can you recognize the cancer moles yourself?
The signs and symptoms of such malignant growths include:
- Asymmetry - the appearance of one half of the mole does not correspond to the other part of the nevus.
- The boundaries of the pigmented spot become blurred, jagged or discontinuous.
- Color change - the color of the birthmark can vary from light brown to black. In some cases, nevuses include separate inclusions of orange or red hue.
- Increase the diameter of the birthmark, which can exceed 6 mm.
- The gradual development of the tumor can be accompanied simultaneously by asymmetry and a violation of the shape and size of the nevus.
Secondary manifestations of melanoma include:
- the formation of ulcers or erosions that do not heal for a long time;
- the spread of the pigment beyond the mole into the adjacent skin;
- reddening of the epidermis around the pigmented spot;
- often patients complain that the birthmark itches, it hurts, itches;
- the surface of the transformed nevus becomes rough and swollen.
Squamous cell carcinoma
This form of skin cancer occurs in 75% of all cancer patients. The disease is characterized by early formation of metastases in regional lymph nodes and active germination of mutated tissues in nearby organs. The pathological focus in this case is a small round knot, the boundaries of which are clearly limited. Surface of the tumor is rough or scaly. As oncology develops, the tumor may ulcerate.
Basal cell carcinoma
Basaloma is considered the least aggressive form of malignant skin lesions. The tumor tends to slow growth and lack of metastases. The knotty appearance of basal cell carcinoma is characterized by the formation of a reddening epithelium, which in its structure resembles a mole.
When should I see a doctor?
Early diagnosis of skin cancer contributes to a complete cure of the patient. The detection of melanoma at a late stage of growth is, in almost 100% of cases, a lethal outcome. For the timely detection of neoplasm of the epidermis, doctors recommend:
- Periodically conduct self-examination of the body for the presence of malignant tumors. In this case, attention should also be paid to the scalp, nails and the genital area.
- Detection of atypical spots, bruises or modification of the mole, is a direct reason to seek advice from a dermatologist. The expert will carefully examine the skin and, if necessary, will prescribe additional diagnostic procedures.
- Passage of free screening of the skin. In many specialized medical institutions, preventive examination of people by specialized specialists is carried out periodically. Patients need only to make an appointment in advance to receive counseling.
- People who have been treated with melanoma in the past should go to the dermatologist once a year. This is due to the fact that these patients have five times higher chances of re-development of skin cancer.
Melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma
Prophylaxis of malignant degeneration of moles
- Doctors do not recommend a long time is under the influence of ultraviolet rays. According to statistics, the solarium and other ways of getting sunburn by 75% increase the chances of skin cancer.
- In the summer, people in the open air are better off in the morning and evening hours.
- The use of sunscreen is a must! The agent should be applied both in cloudy and sunny weather. As part of these cosmetics, patients need to pay attention to the sun protection factor (SPF), which must be at least 30.
- Use sunglasses that have sufficient protection from ultraviolet radiation.
- Self-examination of the skin and timely access to a dermatologist for advice. It is important to detectcancerousmolesor melanoma in the initial stage. In such cases, surgical removal of the malignant neoplasm leads to complete recovery of the patient.