The causes of increased hemoglobin in the blood and ways to lower its level
Concentration of hemoglobin - the most important indicator of the state of the body. It is determined from capillary or venous blood. Deviation from the norm is not considered a separate pathology, indicates that the body develops pathologies. In what cases is hemoglobin raised?
- When the protein is increased, and what does it threaten?
- Evidence of deviation
- Physiological culprits of deviation
- Pathological factors
- Deviations in pregnancy
- Decrease of the indicator
- How to bring the level of protein back to normal?
- Folk remedies
- Medications to reduce protein levels
When the protein is increased, and what does it threaten?
Hemoglobin is an iron-containing protein found in blood erythrocytes. A newborn baby has a fetal kind of protein, which is converted to adult hemoglobin.
Its function is the transportation of oxygen in the body. Normally, the amount of substance is 140-160 g / l in boys and 120-140 g / l in girls. From birth to adolescence, the value varies depending on the number of years.
If the hemoglobin content changes by 20 units in the direction of decrease or increase, then there is a serious reason for going to the doctor. Low protein levels are dangerous for the development of anemia, oxygen starvation, which can cause tissue necrosis.
The presence of high hemoglobin is accompanied by erythrocytosis. The condition threatens the patient with a thickening of blood, which leads to thrombosis, stroke, heart attack, pulmonary thromboembolism.
Pathologies arise from excessive amounts of hemoglobin and elevated hematocrit. But it happens the other way around, when a high rate is due to illness. Therefore, it is important to immediately respond to a poor blood test.
Evidence of deviation
If a person has hemoglobinemia, then it can be suspected by some signs. They are of a general nature, so they can not point to a specific disease. Symptoms of high hemoglobin include:
- Deterioration of general condition, lethargy, fatigue.
- Redness of the skin, itching.
- Lack of desire to sleep and eat.
- Raising blood pressure.
- Pain in the head, joints, dizziness.
- Urine has hemoglobin in the composition, which is called hemoglobinuria.
Physiological culprits of deviation
Causes of an increase in the level of a haemoblock may be environmental factors or features of a person's lifestyle. The deviation of protein in the direction of increase is observed in people who live in the mountains.
At a time when a person is high up in the mountains, the body suffers from insufficient oxygen and produces a lot of hemoglobin. For residents of Russia, this reason is not always relevant.
Another factor is the professional activity associated with flying on an airplane. Separately it is necessary to allocate sportsmen who actively train, are engaged in heavy kinds of sports.
Lead to a high level of hemoglobin can be tobacco smoking. Scientists believe that such a disorder occurs because of a decrease in oxygen in the lungs of a smoker.
Elevated hemoglobin in the blood is not always caused by a physiological etiology. An ailment is possible with some hemoglobinopathies (ICD10 D58).
Most often, the culprit becomes a disease. The causes of high hemoglobin are the following pathological phenomena:
- Problems with the heart and blood vessels that cause a decrease in blood transport, leading to hypoxia and the production of large amounts of hemoglobin.
- Pathologies of the respiratory system, preventing free air intake.
- Oncology, which consumes a lot of oxygen in the development process. Therefore, cancer provokes active production of red blood cells.
- Disturbance of the bone marrow, resulting in an excessive amount of protein.
- Failure in the activities of the adrenal and liver.
- Severe burns.
- Intoxication of the body.
- Diabetes mellitus, which causes an increase in glycated hemoglobin in the blood.
These pathologies are dangerous for human health and life. Therefore, it is important to keep the index of iron-containing protein under control, passing a laboratory test on a regular basis.
Deviations in pregnancy
Pregnant women sometimes have hemoglobin levels in the blood. Usually the longer the period, the denser the blood. But such a thickening interferes with oxygen and useful substances to enter the body of the baby. Therefore, you need to monitor the indicator, donate blood for clotting.
An increased level of protein during pregnancy leads to the fact that the liquid from the vessels passes into the tissues. As a result, there is swelling.
In some cases, a deviation of hemoglobin means the development of gestosis. Among the manifestations of the disease can be identified high blood pressure, swelling, the presence of protein in the urine.
It is recommended that women drink more water when they are pregnant. If the cause of the deviation is a particular pathology, then you need to fight it.
If hyperhemoglobinaemia is observed due to problems with blood coagulability, the doctor will prescribe medications diluting it.
Decrease of the indicator
The level of hemoglobin may increase and decrease. This state is manifested most often in people. Therefore, there are a lot of means to deal with it. Therapy is carried out with the help of medicines, folk remedies, diet, active lifestyles.
Lowering the indicator in the blood together with a decrease in the number of red blood cells is called anemia. Men are diagnosed with a level lower than 140 g / l, and women if the protein content is less than 120 g / l.
When anemia is detected, first of all they look at hemoglobin concentration, because blood corpuscles do not decrease so quickly. Most often, doctors face patients who develop iron deficiency anemia.
It arises from the lack of iron in the blood of a person. The deficit develops because the body does not get enough of the element with food. The cause may be diseases of the digestive system, preventing normal absorption and absorption of iron.
But this is not the only type of pathology. Anemia is divided into several varieties:
- Posthemorrhagic. Appears when a person loses too much blood. This is possible with injuries, operations, internal bleeding.
- Megaloblast and folic deficiency. Occur when there is not enough vitamin B12 and folic acid in the body.
- Hemolytic. It is connected with the fact that erythrocytes are destroyed too quickly. Normally, they are given a three-month period of existence, but with violations in the body, they disintegrate after a month and a half.
- Aplastic. Hemoglobin decreases as a result of treatment with cytostatics or methods, as a result of which the body receives a large dose of radiation.
Important!!! A low level of hemoglobin can cause severe complications for human health, since the body does not receive the necessary nutrients. This is especially dangerous for children and pregnant women..
How to bring the level of protein back to normal?
Treatment depends on why a high hemoglobin appeared in humans. If the level of the substance rises due to natural causes, then medical care is not required. The protein content is normalized on its own, as soon as the deviation-provoking factor is eliminated.
Intervention is necessary when the concentration of hemoglobin is increased due to pathology. In this case, it is required to treat the disease, in parallel to change the lifestyle and diet.
Exclude from the menu red meat, pomegranate, apples, eat less buckwheat, sweet and flour and other foods that can raise the protein content. Do not get carried away with foods that have food additives, especially iron.
Do not eat a lot of fish, seafood, limit yourself to eating fatty, roast, smoked. Refuse from taking multivitamins, drinking alcohol, smoking.
More doctors recommend more fluid. Use water together with lemon juice. This will help to thin the blood, to normalize the hemoglobin content. A day to drink up to 2 liters of water, depending on the weight. Drink clean water, compotes, teas. Carbonated drinks are prohibited.
Recommended food at an elevated level of the hemolite are sour-milk products, yoghurts, low-fat cottage cheese, hard cheese, green vegetables and fruits, legumes, porridges.
You should eat foods that include iron, which is slowly absorbed. These include beans, grapes, nuts, spinach, bread. They will help to reduce the level of protein.
The thickening of the blood is also treated with the methods of alternative medicine. Their huge number, because people throughout their existence have used the gifts of nature to combat pathologies.
The following natural components can reduce the hemoglobin index at home:
- Every day start with a glass of warm water in which a spoon of honey and a few drops of citric acid are dissolved. Such a drink will help lower the level of protein, prevent the onset of a cold.
- You can use a mummy. This tool has an effective effect, allows you to forget about the high hemoglobin for a long time. Buy mummies can be in the pharmacy, most often sold in the form of tablets.
For treatment it is necessary to do the following: dissolve one pill in 100 ml of warm water. Take the drug at night. The course of therapy is, weeks. Then break for 5 days, then repeat the treatment.
Therapy is carried out with the condition that a person refuses to use sedatives, hypnotics, alcoholic beverages and smoking.
- An excellent remedy is cranberry juice. These berries have a natural aspirin. Such a drink helps to thin the blood. For cooking, put 2 large spoons of fruits and honey in a bowl, pour a glass of warm water. Insist for 15 minutes and drink.
- You can make a decoction of the root of the thicket. Brew one small spoonful of grass with a glass of boiled water, insist 60 minutes. Drink before breakfast. Folk medicine allows you to lower hemoglobin and purify the blood.
Separately it is necessary to say about such methods of treatment as bloodletting, the use of leeches, homeopathy. These methods help to quickly normalize the index of iron-containing protein.
Leeches have several enzymes that allow the liquefaction of blood. The procedure takes 20 minutes. During this time, these creatures inject into the blood a quantity of their own enzymes, which normalizes the level of hemoglobin for a week.
Medications to reduce protein levels
Medical products that help reduce hemoglobin levels are prescribed by the attending physician, considering all blood counts: the number of platelets, cholesterol, ESR, leukocytes, lymphocytes and other components. If the protein has increased due to the development of pathology, it is recommended to take medications that relieve it.
To reduce hemoglobin in the blood, medications are prescribed that dilute the blood. These are "Trental "Cardiomagnum "Aspirin "Curantil". The patient should be under the supervision of a doctor during the period of reception of funds..
Important!!! When hemoglobin is raised in the blood, do not take multivitamin complexes, minerals, vitamins B, C, iron, copper, folic acid, since they can still overestimate the index..
In some cases, doctors advise electrophoresis. With the help of this procedure, you can remove from the blood excess red blood cells. This helps to reduce the hemoglobin. But you can use the physiotherapy procedure in extreme cases, when other ways of fighting do not bring success.
An increase in hemoglobin in the blood is a dangerous condition that can lead to negative consequences. Therefore, you need to closely monitor the indicator, not forgetting to regularly give blood for analysis... .