How do they check the blood vessels on ultrasound? Principles of diagnostics
Ultrasound examination of the heart and blood vessels has become a solid help in the diagnosis of heart disease. For the first time the method of ultrasound was used in the 80 years of the XX century. Its essence lies in the fact that ultrasonic waves are reflected from the biological tissues of our body, displaying an accurate image on the equipment monitor.
Ultrasound of vessels is an effective study that allows you to see the state of large coronary vessels supplying myocardium with blood. You can perform ultrasound of the heart vessels by two methods: dermal and with the introduction of an intravascular catheter.
- What does the method show?
- Is preparation necessary before the examination of vessels with the help of ultrasound?
- Indications for conduction
- How is the procedure performed?
What does the method show?
To obtain the maximum amount of information, a study is also carried out using echocardioscopy in the Doppler mode. Due to this approach, it is possible to evaluate the nature of blood flow through the arteries and veins. Ultrasound of the cardiovascular system, doctors are prescribed to undergo:
- angina pectoris;
- congenital or acquired heart defects;
- noises in the heart;
- varicose veins;
- myocardial infarction.
It is necessary to perform a study of the vessels of the heart, if a person complains of shortness of breath and swelling of the extremities. The method of echocardiography will show any changes in the vessels that directly feed the myocardium.
Conducted and intravascular diagnostics. It is indispensable for the cardiologist, since with its help one can determine the causes of thickening of the vascular branch or the degree of its stenosis. Intravascular diagnosis is often carried out as part of coronary angiography. This technique studies the cardiovascular system with the help of a contrast radiographic method.
Is preparation necessary before the examination of vessels with the help of ultrasound?
To make ultrasound of the heart and blood vessels, no special preparation is required. It is sufficient to not eat 3-4 hours before the procedure..
Important! If the patient has high blood pressure (more than 160 mm. gt; ) and the heart rate exceeds 90 beats per minute, the study is conducted after the stabilization of the condition..
When it comes to intravascular research, then in this case it is necessary to refrain from taking any liquid 4 hours before the procedure. For 6-8 hours before this procedure, you should not eat.
Indications for conduction
That the doctor could understand a real picture of a condition of heart of the patient, it is necessary for him to see results of complex research of ventricles of an organ, an aorta, coronary vessels.
Often ultrasound and EchoCG cardiologists are appointed after an electrocardiogram. Echocardiography should be included in the list of examinations with the following indications:
- frequent jumps of blood pressure;
- heart cough;
- swelling of the extremities;
- shortness of breath, which appears even with minimal load;
- soreness behind the sternum;
- pain under the scapula, in the shoulder or jaw;
- cyanosis of the lips and skin;
- accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity;
- frequent sudden increase in heart rate;
- enlargement of the liver.
Echocardiography is considered the basic method, as it shows the state of the aorta of the heart, ventricles, atria, valves. It is especially important to pass the diagnosis by this method for people who are sick:
- aneurysm of the heart and blood vessels;
- a tumor of the heart;
- connective tissue diseases.
Doing ultrasound of the cardiovascular system is also for those who do not have complaints about heart function. These groups of people include:
- pregnant women;
- athletes who are subjected to strong physical stress;
- people undergoing preventive examinations;
- children under 1 year (to exclude congenital heart diseases);
- teenagers in a period of active growth.
How is the procedure performed?
Echocardiography of the cardiovascular system is completely painless. The patient does not feel any uncomfortable sensations. The procedure is simple:
- A man takes off his outer garment to the waist, and lies down on his back.
- The doctor applies a special gel to the chest, which improves the conductivity.
- Next, it rotates the sensor, which transmits information to the monitor. During the diagnosis the doctor looks at the size of the ventricles, aorta, vessels.
- All collected information is analyzed by computer.
- The patient at the end of the procedure removes the gel from the skin with a napkin.
Echocardiography is a completely safe method of diagnosis, since it does not use radiation. It can even be carried to the fetus in the womb. This study is necessary to check the presence or absence of heart anomalies..
Modern ultrasound machines make it possible to receive a color image. The doctor is easier to see the pathology, since the method fully estimates the size of the atria, ventricles, diameter and condition of the pulmonary artery, the aorta. The image on the devices of the new generation becomes three-dimensional..
Doppler echography is a method of intravascular diagnosis. It allows you to see the speed of blood flow, the level of stenosis of the aortic, pulmonary, tricuspid and mitral valve of the heart, pressure in each organ chamber. This device has various modifications..
Echocardiography of blood vessels and ventricles, atriums of the heart is considered as the most informative and modern diagnostic method. It is popular because of the availability, speed, painlessness... .