The causes of lowering the level of leukocytes in the blood, symptomatology and treatment
Low content of leukocytes is called leukopenia. Since leukocyte cells provide protection of the body against microbes, infections and adverse effects, a decrease in leukocytes leads to a decrease in immunity. And the long-standing deficiency of leukocytes and neutrophils is critical, otherwise a primitive infection can have deplorable consequences right up to a lethal outcome.
Leukopenia is divided into two varieties. In the first case, the formation of white blood cells in the bone marrow is suppressed. In the second case, the number of leukocytes in the blood stream is destroyed. What do the lowered leukocytes in the blood mean and what is it related to, let's talk in the article.
- Causes of a decrease in the total number of leukocytes
- Low level of leukocytes in the blood and its symptoms
- What should I do if my leukocytes are lowered?
- Medication if leukocytes are lowered in an adult
- Few leukocytes in the blood of children
- Reduced leukocyte count in blood during pregnancy
Causes of a decrease in the total number of leukocytes
There are several categories of key causes that cause a decrease in leukocytes. Since pathological changes in the body in the form of diseases - this is only a specific example, which can be tied to a specific point.
- Reduced white blood cells due to a lack of components involved in the formation of new white blood plates.
This is the most common root cause, why the leukocytes in the blood are lowered. And the expert necessarily considers it first. Approximation of the level of leukocyte cells to the lower limit of the norm is a bad sign, which indicates that it is time to reflect on the way of life and diet to avoid leukocytopenia.
This cause does not cause a decrease in leukocytes and is associated with a decrease in hemoglobin. All because these blood cells are synthesized with the help of the same set of microelements and vitamins:
- vitamins B12 and B1;
- folic acid;
- copper and iron.
If the blood test showed leukocytes below normal, the first study does not draw conclusions. The attending physician recommends several more tests to confirm the diagnosis. But the tendency to a low concentration of blood cells requires a diet menu. There are many situations when the body is not able to get the right amount of useful microelements and vitamins. And if the diet does not work to increase the concentration of leukocyte cells, it is important to use drug therapy.
Important! If the level of leukocytes in the blood has been lowered for a long time, laboratory and instrumental research on oncology is recommended.
- Disappearance of leukocyte cells
Sometimes leukocytes are produced normally. But under the influence of certain reasons they die in the blood plasma:
- The major part of leukocytes is occupied by neutrophils. These cells die after meeting with harmful bacteria and microbes. Therefore, neutrophils are lowered due to an infectious or fungal disease. Deficiency of neutrophilic cells can be caused by intoxication. Therefore, you need to think about the interaction with toxic fumes and toxic substances, radiation. The conversation can go about the microdoses that the body received briefly or for a long time from the air, with food and water. In the first case, this is carbon monoxide and industrial emissions, characteristic of large megacities and industrial sites; in the second - fungi, pests and poisonous particles that appear due to improper storage and transportation of food; in the third - heavy metals and other. To decrease the level of neutrophils can be under the influence of the fight against toxins, this is indicated by low leukocytes.
- Reduction of the level of leukocytes in the blood is observed due to a malfunction of the functioning of the bone marrow. And the reason is not so much mechanical damage as internal pathological changes. The number of leukocytes in the blood decreases due to intoxication. After all, the effect of toxic substances, temporary or prolonged, entails a malfunction of the bone marrow. It can be alcoholic or food poisoning, intoxication with heavy metals, benzene, toluene and so on.
- Chemotherapy in the treatment of oncological pathologies, drugs such as interferon cause a decrease in the white blood cell count. With medication, the attending physician strengthens the immune system.
There are few leukocytes in the blood for the following reasons:
- radiation therapy and some diagnostic techniques lead to a malfunction of the functioning of the bone marrow;
- autoimmune lesions that destroy their own blood plates in the process of fighting a foreign agent;
- The level of leukocyte cells and neutrophils in the blood are lowered due to tumor displacement. After all, metastases in the bone marrow are associated with the destruction of leukocytes in the blood.
Low level of leukocytes in the blood and its symptoms
Leukopenia occurs without symptoms. But if the body lacks leukocytes, then this is a sign of problems with the immune system. In this case, a person can not fight with the simplest viral and infectious diseases. Therefore, a blood test is a prerequisite for the diagnosis.
With leukopenia, the body's defense is reduced, as in viral diseases. But with the difference that there is no runny nose and a sore throat. The clinical picture of this condition implies an increase in body temperature. Why and the diagnosis of the disease is complicated.
What should I do if my leukocytes are lowered?
To bring the concentration of leukocyte cells to the norm can be various methods. But whatever the treatment, it is important diet food. Without dieting normalize leukocytes in the blood is unrealistic, even if you take the medicine.
The diet menu is selected by the attending physician. It is recommended to limit foods high in carbohydrates by filling the gap with protein, vitamins, folic acid and ascorbic.
To solve once and for all problems with low leukocytes, advise:
- Pay attention to citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, grapefruits and tangerines) and berries (currants, strawberries, raspberries).
- It will help in solving problems with leukocyte cells, royal jelly. The main thing is to consult a doctor in order not to overdo it with the use of the product.
- Drink plenty of milk and eat sour milk products once a day.
- Vegetables are a storehouse of vitamins and minerals useful to the body. Eat more legumes.
- Additionally, take vitamins. Vitamin C and B9 are important.
- Well showed himself a decoction of barley.
Medication if leukocytes are lowered in an adult
The low white blood cell count in adults suggests the destruction of white blood cells, which adversely affects the functioning of the immune system. Drug therapy involves the use of drugs that will ensure the production of leukocytes in the right amount to fill the deficit.
Medicines are divided into groups:
- stimulating metabolism, for example: Pentoxyl, Methyluracil, Leucogen and others. The drugs have the ability to regenerate cells and restore the functioning of the immune system, affecting the cellular and humoral levels;
- To repeat the colony-stimulating factors, designate Sagragastim or Lenograstim.
Leukopenia is not an independent disease. This is a consequence of pathological processes, and they can not be neglected. It is necessary to raise the level of leukocyte cells in order to prevent complications, and the operation as a radical measure. Blood cells fall because of a lack of treatment or disregard for the recommendations of the attending physician. And if you do not find the main cause of the condition.
It is not always possible to cure leukopenia. For example: the increase in the concentration of leukocytes in the blood was due to the use of analgin, stop using - and everything will become on its own. And if we are talking about chemotherapy - there is no way to abandon it. Genetic abnormalities that do not allow the bone marrow to generate the right amount of white blood cells are not corrected. You can also say about autoimmune causes. These are complex tasks that doctors can not eliminate. Here it is necessary to struggle constantly with consequences of a pathology.
Few leukocytes in the blood of children
Red blood cells and leukocytes in the blood go down even in a child. For infants, 5-7 days after birth, the diagnosis is "transient leukopenia." This means that the concentration of blood cells within normal limits, but the ratio of red blood cells, neutrophils and other subspecies of leukocytes is reduced to 15 percent.
On the state of health of the newborn such changes do not affect. It feels normal, and the bone marrow functions properly. The main reason is the appearance of antibodies to the mother, which the baby received in the womb.
Important! After 4 years in the child, the mother's leukocyte cells die, and their level becomes normal.
For older children, the main manifestation of a low level of leukocytes in the blood is low immunity. The child is painful. It often appears furuncles, and after treatment there are "funnels". Practically always with leukopenia "goes hand in hand" periodontitis. Such children lag behind in development (physical and mental), they gain weight heavily. The root causes of pathological abnormalities are infectious and viral diseases, for example: measles, rubella or hepatitis.
Reduced leukocyte count in blood during pregnancy
If the number of leukocyte cells increases during pregnancy, then this is the norm. This condition is called physiological leukocytosis. This is because the body needs to protect both the mother and the baby in the womb. A larger volume of white leukocyte plates after placenta formation is moved to its vessels, remaining there until the birth.
Important! If the level of leukocytes has decreased - it is worth to see a doctor. These are complications that need treatment. Such women go to the examination, starting with a second blood test.
After the diagnosis of "leukopenia" is important to identify the root cause of the pathological process. The level of leukocyte cells can fall due to pregnancy and under the influence of harmful factors from the outside. Long-term leukopenia will lead to a decrease in immunity, and this threatens the normal development of the baby.
There are no easy and complex diseases. Pathological abnormalities in the body require treatment. Especially when it comes to the concentration in the blood of leukocyte cells, which build up the body's defense against harmful agents, viruses, fungi and infections. Only the attending physician will diagnose and prescribe a course of treatment. And they will not treat leukopenia, but the cause of its appearance. This is the only way to achieve results... .