Low level of hemoglobin in the blood: how can you increase the rate?
In human blood a large number of cells performing a certain role in the body. Of particular interest are red blood cells, known as "red blood cells." The main function performed by these shaped elements is to transport oxygen and carbon dioxide between the tissues of the organs.
Hemoglobin is an iron-containing protein found inside red blood cells, which gives them a distinctive red color. Thanks to hemoglobin in the human body, gas exchange is carried out. Oxygen, which enters the lungs during breathing, binds to iron ions in the heme structure, and is transferred to all cells of the body. And in the reverse order, from the tissues of the organs to the respiratory system, the globin protein transports molecules of carbon dioxide.
- The norm of hemoglobin
- Symptoms of low hemoglobin in the blood
- Causes of a decreased level of hemoglobin
- How to raise the level of hemoglobin in the blood with medication?
- How to raise hemoglobin at home?
- What products will help raise hemoglobin?
- Recipes of traditional medicine
The norm of hemoglobin
The hemoglobin content in the blood varies in people, depending on age and gender. There is a range of hemoglobin, generally accepted as the norm. For men, the figure is between 130 and 160 g / l. Perhaps a slight deviation of the norm, due to individual characteristics and age.
For the female body, the normal concentration of hemoglobin in the blood is lower - from 120 to 140 g / l. At the same time, due to some physiological characteristics, hemoglobin can be lowered at certain periods, which is not pathological in nature. This is possible during profuse menstruation, at the end of which the level is restored.
As for the child index, it undergoes changes from the moment of the birth of the child in the process of growing up. The newborns have the highest amount of hemoglobin, which is naturally for the baby. Over time, the indicator decreases, and the one-year-old child reaches a minimum level. With age, a slight increase in hemoglobin occurs until it reaches the norm of an adult.
To know your hemoglobin, you need a general blood test. The procedure is carried out in the morning on an empty stomach. Before donating blood, consider that there are a number of factors that can distort the result. These factors include a strong physical load, which can temporarily increase the amount of hemoglobin in the blood. A significant nervous shock can very well cause the opposite result, in which hemoglobin will decrease.
If the hemoglobin level in a patient is well below the generally accepted norm, it is a question of the possible development of anemia, known as anemia. Anemia is not a disease, it is more correct to say that it is a symptom of a pathology accompanied by a decrease in the number of red blood cells.
Symptoms of low hemoglobin in the blood
Hemoglobin in the blood can fall due to iron deficiency. This element is involved in the gas exchange process, so when it is short, hypoxia occurs. In case of anemia, a person may not experience manifestations of a disease. Clear pathology does not have a clear symptomatology, but some deviations in the patient's state of health are observed:
- General weakness, in which a person seeks to spend more time in a supine position. This is accompanied by increased fatigue, and a person needs frequent rest.
- Heart palpitations, shortness of breath and occasional cramps in the limbs.
- In some cases, dizziness and decreased sleep quality are observed. Insomnia is possible.
- To external manifestations include bluish color of the lips, pallor of the skin and mucous membranes. Possible deterioration of the hair and nail plates.
- Reduced blood pressure.
Important! Before you start taking medication, you need to see a doctor for advice. Only after a comprehensive examination the specialist will confirm or refute the diagnosis, after which the treatment will follow..
Causes of a decreased level of hemoglobin
Low hemoglobin is usually considered a pathology, if the decrease lasts a long time and is not due to a daily change, that is, the state continues for several days. To monitor the state of health, you should consult a doctor who will identify the cause of the pathology.
The main factors affecting the reduction of hemoglobin in the blood are:
- Iron deficiency in the body. The lack of iron is due to a lack of folic acid and vitamin B12.
- Loss of blood due to diseases (ulcer) and after surgery.
- The lack of iron is experienced by women during the bearing of the child, since the fetus takes it from the body of the expectant mother, during the breast-feeding period.
- Diseases of the digestive system, affecting the ability of the body to absorb iron from food.
- The level of hemoglobin in the blood decreases in people with renal failure who need hemodialysis.
- A sharp change in the hormonal background caused by thyroid pathologies, menopause or pregnancy.
- The lack of a balanced diet reduces the intake of iron in the body, and strong physical activity increases its consumption.
- Abundant bleeding that occurs during labor or in wounds.
- At risk are people with malnutrition and vegetarians, since their diet contains no food of animal origin - the main source of iron.
- Reduction of hemoglobin levels is possible with certain types of diabetes mellitus.
- The level of hemoglobin falls after chemotherapy. Oncology leads to these consequences. To return it to the desired value, you will need a blood transfusion.
What the consequences may result from low iron levels depends on the duration of the patient's pathological condition. The longer it is observed, the more serious the ailments they provoked. Prolonged anemia can provoke:
- Decreased immunity. This will affect the ability of the body to resist colds and infectious diseases.
- Heart failure. A person experiences problems with breathing and tachycardia.
- With a long deficit of iron, the structure of muscle tissue suffers.
- Low iron index affects the level of oxygen in the tissues of internal organs. When there is a shortage of the latter, the human nervous system suffers, which manifests itself in the form of memory problems and inability to concentrate attention.
How to raise the level of hemoglobin in the blood with medication?
A complex approach is important for the normalization of hemoglobin levels. First of all, it is advisable to consult a doctor. After a comprehensive examination, the doctor will advise what medicines to take.
Than to lift a hemoglobin in various situations? When iron deficiency anemia is prescribed, the drug "Maltofer" in the form of tablets and drops. Its use is permissible for the elderly, pregnant women, children and adolescents.
As a preventive measure for pregnant women with a lack of iron and folic acid in the period of gestation, the fetus is prescribed "Irovit." Also, in the presence of iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy and during lactation, "Ferrogradumet" is used.
In some cases, when the use of these medicines is not possible due to the presence of concomitant pathologies, the use of drugs intravenously or intramuscularly is recommended. The effectiveness of this method of treatment manifests itself quickly.
How to raise hemoglobin at home?
To adjust the iron index in the body, it is necessary to follow a number of recommendations. How to increase hemoglobin independently? The main solution to the problem lies in changing the diet, which implies the use of dishes with a high iron content in the diet.
The video will make it possible to comprehend how to increase hemoglobin in the blood:
The following recommendations should be considered:
- Increased consumption of products with high levels of iron should be accompanied by a decrease in the amount of products containing magnesium and calcium, as these substances reduce the effectiveness of the method. Either meals with these elements should occur with a difference of several hours.
- They interfere with the absorption of iron by the body with strong coffee and tea.
- Helps increase hemoglobin in the blood consumption of lemon juice and other citrus fruits, because they contain vitamin C.
- Among plant foods, there is a group of foods that increase hemoglobin. But to facilitate the absorption of iron by the body, nuts and legumes before cooking to soak overnight.
- To preserve useful substances and elements in products, minimize heat treatment.
What products will help raise hemoglobin?
The secret of the folk prescription, how quickly to raise hemoglobin in the blood with the help of products, is simple. It is important to prepare dishes from foods high in iron. These include:
- meat and by-products (kidneys, beef and pork liver, veal);
- Brewer's yeast.
As for plant foods, the list of foods high in iron is great. For the assimilation of iron by the organism from plants, it is necessary to have a joint intake of vitamin C.
From plant foods, raspberries can boast of high iron content. It is abundant in legumes and cereals, nettles, spinach, parsley and buckwheat. A significant amount of iron in potatoes. The best way of cooking is baking in the peel. This will preserve the useful properties of the product.
Urgent return the indicator of hemoglobin in the blood to the norm will help walnut and dried fruits (prunes and dried apricots). From fresh berries it is useful to use black currant, peaches, figs, plums and cranberries.
The mixture of carrot and beet juice has proved effective. Beetroot juice squeezed from fresh fruits should stand for 2-3 hours. Mix the juices in the proportion: and take half a glass a day.
Useful for people with low hemoglobin levels in the blood pomegranate juice. However, some contraindications should be considered. Since there is acid in its composition, pomegranate juice is contraindicated in people who have stomach ulcers. Garnet refers to products, the use of which strengthens a person's chair.
A list of products with a high iron content can be found in the video below:
Recipes of traditional medicine
Help to raise the level of hemoglobin in blood recipes from traditional medicine. For this purpose, a salad based on beets and carrots is suitable. It will require 1 beet, 1 fresh carrot, walnuts. Beets and carrots are rubbed on a large grater and mixed. As a dressing, honey or olive oil is suitable. If desired, add raisins. Useful fruit salad, in which the fruit is red.
It helps to boil the dogrose. To make it, you need a handful of fruit, which is poured a glass of boiling water and insisted for an hour in a thermos to keep the temperature of the infusion. Drink a ready broth throughout the day. In addition to iron, rosehip boasts the presence of vitamin C.
Effective means will be a decoction based on nettle, which is easy to prepare. For production, it is possible to use a fresh plant and dried. For a half liter of boiling water, add 1 tablespoon of dried leaves or 2 tablespoons of fresh herb. Insist for several hours, after which they are filtered and taken in unlimited quantities. The remedy will improve the hemoglobin index. Take a month.
The level of folic acid in the body can be increased with the help of wheat grains. To do this, sprout and add to the diet of 50 g per day for 2 weeks. Grain can be eaten during the main meal. However, the recipe is not recommended for people with diseases of the digestive system.
Before using a medicine or a prescription from traditional medicine, you should consult a doctor, because it is important to take into account all possible contraindications of the applied methods of treatment... .