Why does a child have high cholesterol, and how to lower his level?
Often parents do not even think about how cholesterol affects the health of their children, why it increases, and what it is fraught with. Doctors say: a high level of this substance is capable of provoking serious diseases of blood vessels and heart, increase the risk of stroke and heart attack, which pose a serious threat to life and normalcy rights.
Experts have found that problems with the level of cholesterol in the blood can begin from early childhood, so it is worth pay attention to this, and seek advice from doctors who will explain what the cholesterol rate is children.
- What is cholesterol?
- Norm for children
- Why does the child have cholesterol?
- What to do with increased rates?
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is produced in the liver. It is needed for the construction of cells, the production of hormones and the assimilation of fat-soluble vitamins. The food depends on the level of this substance, which rises as a result of eating excessively fatty and harmful food. In the body, about 1000 mg of cholesterol is produced per day.
If a child has increased this indicator in a blood test, it is considered abnormal, parents need to immediately pay attention to food and adjust it.
Cholesterol is found in almost any food, so it is very important to change the diet that is customary for the child.
This substance is found in such products:
- milk (in milk, sour cream, cheese and yogurt);
- meat (in beef, lamb, pork, sausages, rabbit meat and so on);
- fish and seafood (in fish, squid, octopus, mussels and so on);
- bird eggs, chicken, goose and duck (especially in the yolk, which consists of fats).
Norm for children
For adults and children, the blood cholesterol rate is different. The indicators depend on the age characteristics and the work of the organism as a whole. Follow the indicators of the child need from childhood, because if they increase, this threatens a serious violation of the stable operation of the myocardium and cardiac vessels.
Scientists developed a table of indicators by age:
|Thoracic||50 - 130 mg (, 7 mmol / L)|
|Up to 1 year of age||70-170 mg (, 0 3 mmol / L)|
|After a year to 13 years||120-195 mg (1, 8 mmol / L)|
|Until adulthood||120-200 mg (1, 4 mmol / L)|
To know what kind of cholesterol in the blood, it is worth to pass the tests, which are usually prescribed to children from 2 years. Small patients are assigned to study the level of this substance only under certain circumstances:
- if the parents had problems with the metabolism, and in the family there were cases of heart attacks or strokes in the age of up to 50-55 years;
- if the hereditary line had problems with elevated cholesterol (a child pathology can be inherited);
- if the child has a disease of blood and heart, diabetes mellitus or problems with excess weight.
Why does the child have cholesterol?
If the test results showed high cholesterol in a child, such a result is likely to alert parents. It is necessary to find out the cause of this phenomenon and eliminate it.
Why is cholesterol increased in a child? Many factors act on this indicator, something depends on the heredity and characteristics of the child's body. In medical practice, the circumstances are known, as a result of which there is increased cholesterol in children.
- Incorrect food. Abuse of foods that contain many animal fats leads to the development of atherosclerosis. It is recommended to exclude fatty and smoked foods from the diet, which increases cholesterol and creates problems with metabolism and excess weight, even in children.
- Low-activity lifestyle. If a child moves little and does not exercise, then he is likely to slow metabolism and poorly digest fats. Because of this, serious diseases of blood vessels and heart occur, and in adulthood, the risk of heart attack and stroke increases, which are necessarily associated with increased cholesterol levels.
- Hereditary factor. If the parents had problems with metabolism and high cholesterol in the family, and the child is overweight from early childhood, this may be a sign of familial hypercholesterolemia. If on the hereditary line close relatives had heart attacks and strokes, then the risk of similar conditions and their heirs is high.
- Bad habits. It is worth paying attention to the habits of the child, which can appear in adolescence. Smoking and alcohol abuse are considered one of the main causes of increased levels of harmful fats and the development of heart disease.
To determine exactly how high the cholesterol in a child is, they give a general blood test, which is assigned to each kid individually when examined by the treating doctor.
What to do with increased rates?
If the tests showed that the child has elevated cholesterol, doctors will definitely prescribe special preventive measures that are aimed at restoring normal levels of cholesterol. First of all, a complex diet is recommended, which requires a balanced intake of all necessary nutrients.
It includes the following products:
- Seafood, or rather fish, which contains the least amount of cholesterol (herring, mackerel, mackerel and shrimp). In fish there are vitamins A, B and D, Omega-3 fatty acids, which help assimilate fats and normalize cholesterol.
- Vegetable oil and dressed vegetable salads.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables that improve blood circulation, heart function and metabolism.
- Nuts with a high content of healthy fats (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and others).
- Natural yogurt and kefir low-fat, which do not contain cholesterol and stabilize the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
It is believed that these products are able to improve the functioning of the body and metabolism, which is disrupted as a result of malnutrition.
Doctors recommend not using these products:
- fast food, fatty, fried, smoked dishes, food that contains chemical additives;
- Confectionery and sweets, which contain palm fat;
- shop sausages, meat semi-finished products.
On the diet depends on how quickly the metabolism will be restored and the surplus of cholesterol, which disturbs the stable work of important organs, will be assimilated.
It is recommended to abandon alcohol and carbonated drinks, if they are included in the diet of adolescents. Specialists strongly recommend that you lead an active lifestyle, move more and exercise, which will help you better understand useful elements.
It is recommended to give an annual blood test once a year, which will help to determine if cholesterol in the blood drops. and whether the metabolism was restored. If the child leads an active lifestyle and observes the rules of healthy eating, the level of cholesterol will certainly decrease, the metabolism will stabilize, and the body will function normally.
The importance of cholesterol and its functions in the body can be learned from the video:.. .