When is it necessary to remove mammary glands in men?
Table of contents
- Classification and causes of gynecomastia
- The main signs of gynecomastia
- Diagnosis of gynecomastia
- Surgical method of treatment of gynecomastia
The increase in mammary glands in men is called gynecomastia. In adolescence, it occurs due to various kinds of hormonal disorders. According to statistical data, during puberty this pathology is diagnosed in 1/3 of young men. When the hormonal crisis passes, the growth of the breast usually stops by itself.
In some cases, mammary glands may increase due to the presence of certain diseases in a man. This leads to the fact that the extended nipple circle may resemble female. At the same time, sometimes a secret resembling milk is allocated from it. In this case, you should consult a specialist who can prescribe a treatment to restore the hormonal balance, and if necessary, will remove the mammary glands.
Classification and causes of gynecomastia
There are two main types of gynecomastia:
In the first case, breast enlargement is due to an increase in the breast. In the second case, the cause of this phenomenon is obesity. In turn, the true gynecomastia is divided into physiological and pathological.
Physiological is the norm for most men. It can be observed:
- in newborns - in this case, the appearance of pathology can be associated with female sex hormones, which penetrated the body of the newborn in the uterine state; this type of gynecomastia is observed in 65-85% boys;
- in adolescents - the most common pathology is observed in boys aged 12-13 years; experts believe that the main the cause of the increase in mammary glands at this age is the untimely maturation of organs that produce androgens;
- in elderly men - in the course of time the production of male sex hormones in the testicle decreases, which leads to a disruption in the balance of androgens / estrogens; this is the reason for the increase in mammary glands.
It should be noted that at any age, pathological gynecomastia may also occur, which is associated with violation of the balance of male and female hormones, as well as with other causes, among which highlight:
- taking certain medicines;
- hormonal tumors of the lungs, testes, liver;
- prolonged fasting;
- excessive use of alcohol;
- the presence of genetic diseases: true hermaphroditism, insensitivity to androgens, Klinefelter's syndrome, etc .;
- cirrhosis of the liver, adrenal disease, renal failure;
- HIV infection.
The main signs of gynecomastia
The main sign of this disease is an increase in the male breast. In most cases, this pathology is bilateral (one-sided may be observed in 1/3 of the cases). The increase may be more on the one hand, even if both sides of the chest are involved in this process. In this case, soreness is usually absent, but there may be discomfort and increased sensitivity in the chest.
Almost always, gynecomastia is not associated with a violation of sexual function, except when it is associated with excessive production of estrogens and a decrease in the amount of testosterone. In this situation, there may be a decrease or a complete absence of libido.
It is necessary to immediately seek qualified help if a man with mammary gland enlargement has such malignant symptoms:
- unilateral breast augmentation;
- presence of solid and dense formation;
- change in the color of the skin of the breast;
- increased axillary lymph nodes;
- change in the shape and size of the testes;
- change of voice;
- hair loss;
- emotional disorders;
- decreased sexual function.
Diagnosis of gynecomastia
Diagnosis of breast enlargement in men allows you to establish an accurate diagnosis, to identify the cause development of pathology, as well as obtain information that will allow the doctor to make a general clinical picture.
When examining the patient, the health care provider identifies the external signs of gynecomastia: the size of the compaction, the soreness, the presence (absence) of secretion from the nipple. Usually, during the palpation, the doctor finds a diameter of 10 to 100 mm. In this case, it can be placed on both sides, and with one.
The next stage of diagnosis is a laboratory study, with which you can identify the ratio of male and female sex hormones.Laboratory tests for hormones can be prescribed only to adult men. If the causes of gynecomastia could not be identified, then additional tests are scheduled: a blood test for LH, FSH, and others. A CT scan of the adrenal glands and ultrasound is also prescribed.
After the main cause of the disease is found, the specialist determines the further method of treatment. If the reason is the use of certain medications, the doctor can recommend the patient to switch to another drug. In most cases, gynecomastia eventually goes away by itself without any medical intervention. Treatment is necessary only when the pathology does not pass independently for several years or causes pain.
Surgical method of treatment of gynecomastia
To date, there are two main methods of surgery with increasing mammary glands in men:
- removal of mammary glands.
The first method is usually used in pseudo-gynecomastia, when there is a lot of adipose tissue in the breast. First, an incision length of 3-4 mm is made, into which a small tube is inserted, and then fat is pumped out.
Breast removal (mastectomy) is a radical method, the essence of which is that the surgeon, using a scalpel, removes the tissues of the mammary glands from the breast of a man.
Only a qualified specialist can decide to perform an operation and remove the mammary glands after taking into account possible complications, temporary consequences and alternative solutions.
Despite a rather serious approach, this operation is not the most difficult. It is carried out under general or local anesthesia in a hospital. It is very important that mastectomy helps to avoid relapse of the disease. After the operation, some patients require drainage. Wearing a compression bandage is an indispensable condition that must be observed. The postoperative scar is almost invisible, so men will not have to be embarrassed when stripping the torso.