What are the causes of an increase in cholesterol, to a level of, mmol / l?
Perhaps, it's not a secret for anyone that cholesterol is an increased indicator, because today the problem with the impaired level of LDL and HDL in the blood is considered very common. Well, how bad this phenomenon will affect the human body, we will consider further in the article.
- Cholesterol value in blood test results
- Causes of Cholesterol Violation
- Normalization of cholesterol
- The risk of increased cholesterol in children
- Additional prevention aimed at lowering cholesterol
Cholesterol value in blood test results
Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is formed in the human blood in two ways: it is synthesized by the body (in the liver) or enters the blood along with other nutrients from food. At a normal level of cholesterol, the patient does not feel any discomfort and deviations in health. But this level should rise or fall, as it immediately affects the state and the course of all biochemical processes.
However, a violation of the level of this substance is not always dangerous. The cholesterol index less than 6.0 mmol / liter may not provoke any noticeable symptoms and complications. All indicators of cholesterol are conventionally divided into 3 groups:
- The indicator is less than 5 mmol / l - a good level for an adult patient, which causes no cause for concern.
- The index between 5 - 6 mmol / l is not a critical increase in cholesterol, which does not yet indicate a pathology in the body, but is not considered normal. Usually, at this rate, a special diet is prescribed to the patient, helping to lower the level of cholesterol in the blood, thus preventing possible complications.
- The indicator is more than 6 mmol / l - a dangerous level, which becomes a signal of serious violations in the patient's body. With such a deviation, it is recommended that the patient immediately undergo a series of diagnostic measures, according to which the doctor will determine the cause of the increase in cholesterol, and prescribe effective treatment. Otherwise, without medical intervention, the indicator can rise to a mark or even up to, mmol / liter.
It should be noted that the LHC only shows the total level of cholesterol, in certain cases, the risk of developing atherosclerotic plaques in humans also occurs with the normal value of these cells. Therefore, for your peace of mind, it is better to go through an additional blood test - a lipidogram that will show the level of "bad" and "good" fats separately.
Causes of Cholesterol Violation
Causes, as a result of which the cholesterol index rises to a mark, mmol / liter, is not so much. Consider the list below:
- Disturbance of the diet. One of the main reasons for increasing the level of cholesterol in a person's blood is precisely the disturbed diet. After all, as previously stated, cholesterol enters the patient's blood in two ways, one of which is through food. However, not all products are able to increase the level of cholesterol in the blood, but only those that contain in their consisting of a large number of animal fats and calories (fried or smoked meat, lard, some sorts of cheese, sausage, sweets). But also to abuse exhausting diets it is not necessary, after all some percent of the fat should still fall into the blood every day. Otherwise, the cholesterol index may drop, which in turn will cause serious depletion of the body.
- The effects of chronic pathologies. In most cases, the cholesterol rises to, mmol / liter when exposed to the patient's body long-term diseases: diabetes, kidney failure, inflammation of the thyroid gland, cirrhosis liver. In order not to develop complications in the form of atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, heart attack or stroke, the listed pathologies should be treated at early stages.
- Influence of bad habits. With the abuse of alcohol or nicotine in the human body, negative processes occur, as a result of which the cellular composition of the blood is significantly impaired. With a decrease in the "good" cholesterol index, LDL can become a problem for the patient even with a slight deviation from the norm (up to, mmol / liter);
- Age criterion. Another reason why a patient can raise cholesterol to, mmol / liter is age. The older the patient (no matter, man or woman), the worse the work of his heart, as a result of which on the inner walls of the vessels atherosclerotic plaques are formed. And as mentioned earlier, elevated cholesterol is the first harbinger of such plaques.
- Side effect of prolonged drug therapy. There are many drugs that are harmful to the work of the liver. Because of this, with a long course of drug therapy, cholesterol can deviate from the nome.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, the female body regards the fetus as an alien body, as a result of which the immune system of the expectant mother begins to work more actively. Well, this phenomenon, in turn, provokes changes in biochemical processes. However, in this case, an elevated level of LDL and HDL is considered the norm, and after birth it must necessarily stabilize. If this does not happen, then the cause of increased cholesterol clearly lies in something else.
Normalization of cholesterol
Many patients wonder: if cholesterol, what to do in this situation? The answer is simple: with such a deviation from the norm, a person is recommended to resort to complex treatment, which consists of drug and non-drug therapy. However, before any course of therapy, consultation of the attending physician is necessary.
Drug therapy is prescribed to patients whose cholesterol level reaches the level of, mmol / liter (which is quite dangerous for health). And it consists in the use of medicines of the following groups:
- Statins. Unlike most other medical products, these drugs directly affect HMG-CoA reductase, which allows you to quickly reduce the level of cholesterol in the patient's blood. However, with prolonged use of statins, the patient may experience side effects in the form of exhaustion of the body.
- Fibrates. This group of drugs by action is similar to statins, so it is strictly not recommended to take these medications together.
- Sequestants of bile acids. Drugs that interfere with biochemical processes at which the synthesis of cholesterol occurs.
- Antioxidants. Preparations of preventive action, which are allowed to be applied in a complex, paired with statins or fibrates. As for the separate use of antioxidants, it is also possible, but only for prevention.
Important! Before prescribing a certain group of drugs, the doctor appoints a number of laboratory tests to the patient, which can show the tolerability of drug therapy. The patient must tell the doctor about possible irritants, which cause him an allergic reaction (sugar, alcohol, etc.). After all, some medicines contain in the composition forbidden for the sick substance..
If the patient does not have too high cholesterol (, mmol / liter), then the use of medications for him is not necessary. In such situations, a banal change in the way of life of a patient will be able to reduce the level of lipoproteins, which in turn includes:
- Proper nutrition. To the level of LDL in the blood of a man gradually decreased, he is recommended to give up fatty and high-calorie food, and enter into the daily ration of vegetables, fruits, cereals and legumes, products containing Omega-3 acids (fish fat). However, there is no need to overdo it with the diet, so as not to cause depletion of the body.
- Daily exercise. To normalize the heart rate and ensure normal blood flow, the patient is recommended to exercise daily for 10 to 15 minutes. If the patient's cause of increased cholesterol is covered in physical overwork, then such an item should be ignored.
- Getting rid of bad habits (alcohol and nicotine).
- Avoidance of stressful situations. If a person works in a field that makes him constantly exposed to stress, then for a period It is better for him to take a vacation and change the situation (go to the resort or at least a few days). Otherwise, the unstable nervous system can make itself felt, raising the level of cholesterol to, mmol / liter, which only worsens the patient's well-being.
Important! With non-pharmacological therapy, the patient is encouraged to closely monitor the level of cholesterol in the blood, since In the absence of a positive effect from the above measures, he will have to resort to the use of medication preparations. To monitor this indicator, it is recommended to take the LHC at least once a week..
The risk of increased cholesterol in children
What can signify an increased level of cholesterol in adults, we have already considered, and now let's move on to an equally important question: how dangerous is an elevated LDL level in children?
As practice shows, cholesterol, mmol / liter in a child - this phenomenon is rare, and it occurs for one of three reasons:
- Congenital hypertension;
- Gene predisposition (hereditary hyperlipidemia).
Even if the child with the above pathological conditions does not have painful symptoms, then the first blood test should be done at the age of 10 years. Insufficient control of the level of cholesterol in a child's blood can result in a fatal outcome.
Additional prevention aimed at lowering cholesterol
With elevated HDL and LDL in the human body, doctors recommend using special supplements, the task of which is to lower the level of cholesterol in the blood. The list of additives looks like this:
- Vitamin E. Often, vitamins of this group are found in medicinal preparations belonging to the category of antioxidants, which, in turn, are considered preventive agents. When they get into the blood, the amount of high-density lipoproteins increases, resulting in an equalization with LDL. Under the influence of a large number of "good" lipoproteins, atherosclerotic plaques gradually resolve.
- Omega-3 fatty acids. As mentioned earlier, this type of acids is found in large amounts in fish oil, and it is recommended to use it only together with food. Intensive use of such acids reduces the risk of atherosclerosis or other pathological conditions associated with increased cholesterol in the patient.
- Green sorts of tea. As the long-standing practice shows, green tea is a very strong enemy of atherosclerosis, as when ingested it significantly lowers the level of cholesterol in a person's blood. In this case, unlike most other preventive drugs, green tea is also considered affordable.
- Garlic. Among all vegetables, garlic is most effective in controlling high cholesterol, but eating it without extra food is not recommended to avoid stomach upset. When ingested, garlic dilutes blood, reduces the amount of LDL to normal levels. However, when cholesterol is higher, mmol / liter, this therapy is already powerless.
- Soybeans. Just like garlic, soy is able to lower the level of LDL in the human body, so it is necessary to include it in the daily diet.
- Vitamin B3. With small deviations from normal cholesterol, doctors can prescribe vitamin B3 (nicotinic acid) to the patient. Well, you can use this remedy with food, and separately, since it does not cause side effects.
Finally, I want to note that physical exercises, which are recommended to be done every day for a minimum of 10 -15 minutes, are good for fighting excessive cholesterol. Coupled with the right diet, a sporty lifestyle can lower the cholesterol level in the patient's blood and keep it healthy for a long time (up to the old age).
Well, if you have not already managed to avoid high cholesterol, then you should not be nervous before the time, as stress only aggravates the situation. Ask your doctor about medication and change your lifestyle, and you will not notice how your health will gradually begin to return to normal... .