Why does diarrhea suffer during menstruation - is this normal?
The menstrual cycle is the main indicator of women's health. Its course is influenced by changes in the hormonal background. Symptoms that occur during menstruation can interfere with normal functioning. Women are interested in many nuances, one of these is diarrhea (diarrhea) with menstruation. Why does it arise and how to get rid of this phenomenon?
Experts note that in most cases diarrhea with menstruation can be considered the norm. In some women, a loose stool occurs several days before the onset of menstruation, and some suffer from this phenomenon throughout the period of bleeding. Diarrhea before menstruation - a sign of cleansing the body of toxins and toxins. If the diarrhea passes for three days and does not bother much, then the process does not need a special correction.
The hormonal background, which changes before menstruation, affects not only reproductive functions. Changes also take place in the digestive system, because the functioning of the body is the integral work of all systems and organs. In this regard, there may be minor physiological changes. One manifestation of PMS can be diarrhea - a moderate, does not affect the performance of women.
There are other causes that have a direct effect on the occurrence of diarrhea during menstruation:
- infectious disease (food poisoning);
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (IBS - irritable bowel syndrome);
- endocrine pathology (hyperthyroidism).
There is no need to make hasty conclusions. The correct conclusion can be made only by the doctor. If a woman subtly feels her body, then the slightest changes will become noticeable. In this case, it is best to seek advice from a gynecologist.
In many cases diarrhea is the main reason for seeking help, but after a thorough examination, you can find other causal relationships:
- At the beginning of the month, the level of progesterone in the blood decreases, which causes the muscles of the intestines to contract. These processes lead to a loose stool. The reproductive system is closely connected with the intestines, during the menstrual period, the blood circulation of almost all organs increases, which causes diarrhea.
- Diarrhea, as a symptom of the premenstrual period, is considered by specialists as a result of many problems. They can be associated with diseases of the endocrine system, nervous and psychosomatic. The presence of premenstrual syndrome can be stated according to the following indicators:
- sharp or aching pain in the lower abdomen;
- general weakness, dizziness;
- unstable pressure;
- mood swings;
- loose stools.
Such symptoms adversely affect the entire body of a woman and reduce her working capacity.
- In the case when the connection between menstruation and diarrhea is not confirmed, the doctor analyzes the symptomatology, which may be associated with diseases of the digestive system. Diarrhea during menstruation can occur in the presence of diseases of the stomach and gastrointestinal tract. During the examination, palpation pain may indicate this. Gastrointestinal diseases are also associated with nausea, vomiting, flatulence, bloating, alternating diarrhea and constipation.
- Diarrhea with menstruation may also indicate infectious diseases. In the presence of harmful bacteria, the following symptoms may appear:
- abdominal pain;
- increased body temperature;
- fecal masses have different impurities.
Such symptoms indicate an intoxication of the body and need a special correction.
The appearance of diarrhea and nausea on the background of a delay in menstruation can be one of the signs of pregnancy. It is necessary to donate blood to HCG and consult a doctor.
To reliably find out why diarrhea occurs with menstruation, it is recommended to conduct a full diagnosis. The doctor at the examination can only make a preliminary conclusion, which must be fixed by the results of the studies and analyzes. Complete diagnostics include the following manipulations:
- Analysis of urine;
- blood test;
- bacteriological studies;
- Ultrasound of the gastrointestinal tract;
Be sure to consult a gastroenterologist. The specialist after the examination will be able to determine the secondary aspects, why there is diarrhea during menstruation.
If diarrhea occurs on the first day of menstruation and passes after 24 hours, there are no side effects, it can be considered an individual feature of the body.
If a disorder of the stool occurs in the middle of the cycle and continues until the menstruation itself, you should also consult your doctor. This symptom indicates obvious problems in the digestive tract.
Liquid stool during the period of menstruation can be adjusted in more simple ways, namely, to change the diet. During the menstrual cycle, you need to be more careful about nutrition. This will get rid of many of the symptoms of PMS, including diarrhea.
To begin with, you need to introduce into your daily diet foods that strengthen the stool:
- Black tea;
- rice, buckwheat porridge;
A few days before the month, you need to remove the menu from sour-milk products, juices and some fruits. Meals should be frequent, but in small portions, also need to abandon the late dinner. It is better to use boiled water, purified.
Gynecologists say that you do not need to take medicines for diarrhea. Such an influence will adversely affect the whole work of the digestive system. Recommended decoctions of medicinal herbs (chamomile, millennia, St. John's Wort), they are good at cramping in the lower abdomen.
Symptoms of other diseases
Diarrhea during menstruation, which began on the first day and does not stop after their end, lasts a week or a whole month, is a serious signal for the body. If the feces have a sharp odor, change color or have additional discharge - this is an occasion for treatment and therapy. Such symptoms can be signs of an infectious disease. Only after the examination the doctor will be able to identify the reason why there was diarrhea during the menstrual cycle.
In most cases, it is not necessary to fight diarrhea during menstruation. When the hormonal background changes, the digestive system will calm down and return to normal functioning. In order to avoid side effects during this period, you need to rest more, avoid stressful situations and reduce physical stress. Walking in the fresh air and a good rest will cope with any difficulties.