Causes of blood clots during menstruation
During menstruation, the woman's body clears the uterus from the endometrium formed during the cycle. Isolation of blood with small pieces is normal and does not cause anxiety. But large clots with monthly should be alert, as they can talk about the development of pathologies. To exclude the danger to health, it is necessary to pass a survey with a gynecologist, who will answer the questions: why did large pieces appear and is it connected with serious diseases?
Blood clots with menstruation: the nature of the origin
During the menstrual period, the woman's body prepares for pregnancy. Under the influence of hormones, the endometrium thickens. This is necessary in order for a fertilized egg to gain a foothold in the loose inner layer of the uterus.
If conception does not occur, then the level of hormones decreases, and endometrial rejection occurs. Its particles are the clots that resemble the liver. The lack of active movement of women during menstruation leads to the accumulation and folding of blood in the uterine cavity, which makes it difficult to flow and causes lumps. Uterine contractions allow you to leave the remains of the endometrium and blood clots outwards.
If each month of excretion is the same, then there is no cause for concern. Suddenly appeared large clots of blood can indicate the development of pathologies.
Large clots of blood during menstruation: the causes of the appearance
The menstrual cycle begins with a hemorrhage. In this case, in different women, the discharge may differ in color, quantity and consistency. The duration of menstruation is also individual.
Large clots of blood during menstruation are formed for various reasons:
- Hormonal disbalance.If the endocrine system is disturbed, excessive endometrial thickening occurs, which can provoke excessive bleeding. As a result, with lumps coming out of the blood, having a large size. The failure of hormone production occurs when the functioning of not only the reproductive system, but also the thyroid gland, the pituitary gland, and the adrenal cortex.
- Insufficient enzymes.Deficiency of anticoagulants provokes plentiful blood allocation and clots. This phenomenon can be a symptom of anemia (anemia).
- The presence of an intrauterine device.This contraceptive is not suitable for every woman. The first months after the establishment of the body adapts to a foreign object, as a result of which the character of menstrual flow changes. They become abundant, large clots of blood are observed, and the duration of bleeding increases. If, after three months, menstruation does not return to normal, you should contact your gynecologist to remove the spiral.
- Natural and artificial termination of pregnancy.More often spontaneous abortion occurs on a term of up to 12 weeks, with the possibility of self-purification of the uterus. In this situation, blood clots and a fruiting egg of a gray-yellow color appear. Abundant discharge and a large clot may appear after a substandard abortion: incomplete embryo removal, trauma to the internal genital organs during scraping. In both cases, ultrasound is necessary to prevent the development of an inflammatory process.
- Postpartum period.To restore the body after pregnancy and the normalization of the menstrual period takes a long time. During the first week after childbirth, there are abundant discharges of blood with large clots. However, if the temperature rises and severe pains in the area of the uterus appear, you should consult a specialist to exclude the development of the inflammatory process due to incomplete removal of the placenta.
- Ectopic pregnancy. It is asymptomatic until a certain period, but after increasing the size of the fetal egg, severe pains appear in the lower abdomen, brown blood clots, and the body temperature rises sharply. The presence of signs of ectopic pregnancy requires surgical intervention, since there is a threat to the life of a woman.
- Preparations.The use of drugs that accelerate the onset of menstruation. In case of delay, some women buy progesterone medications on their own, without even knowing why the disorder occurred. If the body has a normal level of this hormone, then its additional reception can provoke copious menstruation.
- Allocations.A blood clot or a small piece can be during menstruation with ARVI, flu and other viral diseases.
Abundant discharge and large clots may appear as a result of the development of diseases of the pelvic organs:
- Pathologies in the anatomical structure of the uterus (bend, bicornic uterus, intrauterine partition, etc.), interfering with the free exit of blood. As a rule, menstruation is accompanied by severe pain.
- Hyperplasia of the endometrium - excessive buildup of the inner layer of the uterus, provoked by excess progesterone, obesity, hypertension and other factors. Discharges during menstruation of dark color, can fall out pieces that resemble the liver.
- Myoma of the uterus - a benign neoplasm, which appears as a result of hormonal failure. The tumor can grow in size and interfere with the normal discharge of blood. This disease is accompanied by a violation of the cycle and abundant secretions.
- Endometriosis is a pathology in which the endometrium grows deeper into the tissues of the uterus. As a result, menstruation is accompanied by severe aching pains, abundant blood loss. Endometriosis of the uterus is called adenomyosis.
- Polyposis of the endometrium - the appearance of polyps on the inner layer of the uterus. The discharge during menstruation becomes abundant, accompanied by pains in the lower abdomen, large clots are formed.
There are many factors that contribute to the appearance of clots in the blood secretions. To establish a specific cause, a comprehensive examination of the specialist is necessary.
What are the dangers of large clots in menstruation?
Regular menstruation with small blood clots is the norm. But if the discharge became much more, their color changed, huge clots fell out, severe pain in the lower abdomen, you need to urgently consult a specialist for diagnosing the cause of such changes.
Monthly go with an admixture of slime and large chunks? It is possible that infection develops in the uterus. Untimely treatment of the inflammatory process can lead to infertility and ectopic pregnancy.
Abundant painful periods can lead to iron deficiency anemia.
After eliminating the lack of iron in the blood, the volume of blood secretions decreases with monthly, the skin acquires a healthy shade, the hair will cease to drop out. Abundant bleeding, accompanied by an increase in temperature to critical values, with severe pain, can talk about infection of the uterus during abortion, miscarriage or childbirth.
Remaining after cleansing part of the endometrium (placenta) begin to decompose, provoking an inflammatory process. In this case, additional curettage is required. Untimely assistance can lead to further infertility, spontaneous abortions, damage to the internal genital organs and even the death of a woman.
Endometriosis is the most common reason that large clots appear during menstruation. It appears due to disruption of the immune and endocrine system. As a result, nodes of dark color appear in the tissues of the uterus. They can be localized in different areas, which causes the complexity of diagnosing this disease.
Treatment is prescribed depending on the area of the uterus. It can be aimed at restoring the hormonal balance, but in some cases this is not enough and surgical intervention is required. After removing the nodes, the cycle is normalized, the amount of secretions is shortened, which prevents the formation of large blood clots. Endometriosis is a common cause of female infertility.
The presence of small pieces, similar to liver particles, in the blood secretions during menstruation is a normal physiological process associated with the rejection of the endometrium. However, the formation of large clots of blood is an alarm signal, which speaks of the development of pathological processes in the body. The factors that provoke their education are numerous. To determine the specific cause, it is necessary to undergo a comprehensive examination with a specialist. Timely treatment will avoid complications and save the life of a woman.