Effective methods of treating atherosclerosis and eliminating plaques in the carotid artery
Sleepy arteries are large vessels that deliver blood, saturated with oxygen and nutrients to the brain. As in any arteries, they can begin the process of depositing cholesterol and develop atherosclerosis of the vessels of the neck or carotids. Such a disease requires treatment, constant monitoring of the patient's condition, as dangerous complications are thrombosis, brain damage and stroke.
- What are the symptoms of atherosclerosis
- What can trigger the development of pathology
- What methods can diagnose atherosclerosis
- Treatment of atherosclerosis with the use of medications
- Surgical method
- Non-traditional treatment
- Prophylaxis of the condition
What are the symptoms of atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis of the carotid artery, the symptoms of which at the first stages of the disease a person may not notice, are similar in their manifestations to a number of other pathologies developing in the cardiovascular system. In medical practice, it is not uncommon for a patient to have a stroke, and in the treatment it turns out that such a state The patient was preceded by a long process of formation of plaques and stenosis of the arteries, the symptoms of which he did not pay attention. Symptoms by which you can determine atherosclerosis:
- frequent or persistent feeling of weakness in the body, drowsiness;
- decreased memory;
- in the right or left parts of the body unpleasant tingling or numbness;
- temporary restriction of the motor activity of the hands or feet;
- change of speech function, slurred speech;
- violation of gait, movements become uncoordinated,
- significant reduction in the visualization of one eye.
When a plaque appears on the carotid artery, treatment of the disease is important to begin as quickly as possible in order to prevent complications..
What can trigger the development of pathology
The main reason for the formation of cholesterol deposits in human vessels, including carotid arteries, is a significant excess of the norm of this substance in the blood. Increased cholesterol can cause:
- hereditary diseases, in which increased production of cholesterol is observed;
- overweight, obesity;
- old age, when the process of changing the structure of the vessels begins;
- prevalence in the diet of fatty foods, foods with high cholesterol;
- regular vascular injuries, a decrease in their elasticity due to the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco smoking;
- development of diseases - diabetes, coronary heart disease, arterial hypertension;
- The presence of cholesterol plaques in other vessels of the cervical region.
What methods can diagnose atherosclerosis
Presence of provoking factors, manifestation of atherosclerosis symptoms is an important reason for contacting the clinic. Diagnosis of the disease involves several procedures, they are chosen and conducted until the doctor sees the full picture of the disease, assesses the condition of the patient's vessels. The patient is given a comprehensive examination:
- general examination, conducting a survey of well-being, data analysis;
- taking blood pressure readings;
- examination, palpation and auscultation of the arteries;
- conducting laboratory blood tests (general and biochemical analyzes), urine.
- ultrasound examination (dopplerography) to assess the features of blood flow and vascular structure;
- carrying out of a computer tomography of arteries of the patient, at procedure use ways of their studying radiopaque method (with the introduction of a coloring substance into the vessel) and using an x-ray radiation;
- angiography (magnetic resonance) - under the influence of radiation from the magnetic field it becomes possible to see and evaluate the state of the patient's vessels, the peculiarities of the blood circulation in them.
It is important that the listed diagnostic methods are informative, they can give exhaustive information about the patient's health, evaluate a condition not only of carotids, but also of others, for example: carotid basin, Willis circle, brachiocephalic vessels. Only after a complete examination of the patient the doctor confirms the diagnosis of atherosclerosis of the carotid arteries and prescribes treatment.
Treatment of atherosclerosis with the use of medications
When diagnostic procedures confirm that a patient has a cholesteric plaque in the carotid artery, treatment is administered individually. Indications for choosing a drug (conservative) method - the initial stage of the disease, a small plaque size, a process without stenosis of the artery.
The main approaches used in conservative treatment are:
- reduction of blood cholesterol level, normalization of lipid metabolism;
- elimination of factors predisposing to the formation of thrombi, the start of the process of their resorption;
- lowering blood pressure;
- improvement of the heart;
- qualitative changes in the state of blood vessels, dissolution of plaques.
To achieve each goal of treatment, the physician selects medicines based on the individual health status of the patient. Pathologies diagnosed in other organs, the patient's age, sex, and other factors determine their purpose. It is important that the treatment is under the control of specialists who must promptly evaluate the results and, if necessary, adjust the therapy.
In order to achieve a positive result from the use of prescribed medications, the patient must follow the advice of physicians and accompany the treatment with the implementation of the measures:
- revision of the daily menu, transition to a healthy diet;
- gradual increase in physical activity;
- rejection of bad habits;
- maintaining a way of life that contributes to the achievement of psychoemotional balance.
The medicamentous way of treating atherosclerosis presupposes the duration and regularity of taking prescribed medications.
The operation on the carotid artery in atherosclerosis is prescribed in those cases when the disease can not be cured by medications. In such cases, there is a significant overlap of the artery with cholesterol deposits, the inner lumen of the vessel is significantly narrowed due to stenosis. The operative method aims to restore the necessary diameter of the artery lumen, to nestenose it, to remove the cholesterol deposition.
Surgical removal of the consequences of atherosclerosis in the artery is carried out in several ways:
- angioplasty followed by stenting;
- laser coagulation.
Modern operations on vessels are conducted using sparing technologies, the percentage of successful outcome of treatment without complications is great..
Endarterectomy is performed using anesthesia - depending on the health of the patient, it can be general or local. In the artery (in the place closest to the narrowing) a flexible mini-tool is introduced. With its help, the plaque is removed, which slows the flow of blood. This type of intervention requires rehabilitation. Due to the fact that after removal of the cholesterol build-up, the vessel will have irregularities, after a time elapses, a relapse of the pathology may occur in this place.
Angioplasty with stenting is performed under local anesthesia. The patient, through an incision into the vessel, is injected with a balloon with air, which has the ability to expand. Its purpose is to expand the artery at the point of its closure. When the balloon reaches the desired portion of the vessel, a stent is inserted into the incision, capable of retaining the desired internal diameter of the artery.
Laser coagulation in atherosclerosis involves removing the deposition of cholesterol on the vessel wall. The doctor directs the beam to a place with a pathology - the laser completely "eats" a plaque.
Is it possible to dissolve atherosclerotic plaques in the carotid artery folk remedies? Physicians give an unambiguous negative answer to this question. Such treatment only supplements the basic, is ancillary. The use of each folk remedy or method must be agreed with the doctor. Any of the ingredients used in them can be incompatible with the main drug, can cause deterioration of the patient's health, in some cases cause death.
A good result is achieved when the treatment of atherosclerosis of the carotid arteries in the first stages of herbs. Infusions and decoctions of them can improve blood flow, help reduce the size of cholesterol plaques, making more internal lumen artery. The recipes use self-harvested raw materials or purchased in a pharmacy. Doctors recommend using:
- horse chestnut;
- ready-made herbal preparations for blood vessels and heart.
Sea-buckthorn, cranberry, hawthorn, dog rose, red mountain ash regulate lipid metabolism. A good therapeutic effect for atherosclerosis is garlic - it is used in raw form or as a basis for tinctures.
Prophylaxis of the condition
That the disease does not develop, it is necessary to approach the organization of life responsibly. The patient must follow the recommendations for health support:
- change diet - diet involves the consumption of a large number of fresh vegetables and fruits, the rejection of animal fats and salt, dishes containing carcinogens, preservatives;
- to adjust physical activity - to do gymnastics (the complex of exercises is recommended by the doctor), go for a walk, ride a bike, swim, run - all movements must deliver pleasure;
- always be balanced, avoid stress.
More information about atherosclerosis can be found in the video:
Also, information on treatment and prevention of the disease can be found in the video:.. .