How long can an abortion take?
Modern medical statistics annually records an increase in the number of abortions, most of which are produced at an early stage. The desire to abort pregnancy artificially is not always justified by compelling circumstances. Therefore, the question of how long a pregnancy can be terminated with the least consequences for the reproductive sphere should be discussed with the gynecologist without fail.
Types of abortion
Confirmation of pregnancy is not always in women causes pleasant associations. There are times when household, physical, material difficulties and other circumstances do not allow the fruit to be saved. Despite the legislation that officially allows an abortion before the 12th week of pregnancy, the search for the most safe type and duration is of interest to many women.
The question of how long it is possible to have an abortion should be discussed with a gynecologist. The doctor in each individual case decides when to do abortion, to maintain reproductive function and not to damage the health.
The terms of abortion are classified into:
- early (abortion up to 12 weeks);
- late (for a period of more than 12 weeks).
Depending on the gestational age, the gynecologist determines what kind of medabort is the most acceptable in this situation.
In obstetric-gynecological practice, the following standards are adhered to:
|Type of abortion||Gestational age||Kind of conducted manipulations|
|Drug (pharmacological)||Abortion at a period earlier than 6 weeks||Taking the tablet preparation|
|Mini abortion||Not more than 7 weeks||Vacuum aspiration of the fetal egg|
|Surgical||Up to 12 weeks, up to 22 weeks - for special indications||Expansion of the cervical canal followed by curettage of the uterine cavity|
The deadline for abortion is 12 weeks, but there are situations where interruptions are possible in a later period.
Up to how many weeks it is possible to do to the patient surgical manipulations on removal of a fetus, the special commission which structure includes:
- chief physician;
- a gynecologist who has observed pregnancy;
- related specialists (in the presence of systemic diseases in the anamnesis);
The decision on how long to make an abortion, and in what way, is taken taking into account such indicators as:
- physical and mental health of the patient;
- circumstances that affected the adoption of such a decision;
- the presence of systemic diseases;
- an allergy in the anamnesis;
- risk of complications;
- threat to life.
At what time it is possible to do pharmacological (pharmaceutical) abortion, most often interested in nulliparous women. The essence of the pharmacist is the use of a synthetic steroid anti-gestagenic drug Mifepristone, which increases the contractile ability of the myometrium and promotes the expulsion of the fetal egg. In combination with Misoprostol (a synthetic analogue of prostaglandin), the pharmaceutical effect is enhanced.
However, the decision, up to how many months do abortion with the help of tablets, the gynecologist should solve. The view that the absence of operative intervention in the reproductive organs is safe, eliminates the risk of complications, is mistaken.
The maximum period for the procedure of pharmaceutical abortion is 6 weeks (42 days from the date of the last menstruation). If the gestation period exceeds, then the incomplete removal of the fetal egg is likely. In the absence of menstruation, an additional consultation of the gynecologist and ultrasound examination of the uterine cavity is required.
To make a medical abortion without consulting a gynecologist is unacceptable for a pregnant woman. Only a doctor decides how many weeks to do abortion with pills to minimize the risk of hormonal imbalance.
Vacuum aspiration is the most common type of abortion for up to 7 weeks:
- Compared to a pharmacy, vacuum aspiration contributes to the complete removal of aborted material in 95% of cases. At the same time, doctors make a vacuum abortion to reduce the risk of injury to reproductive organs.
- The lack of actions associated with the expansion of the cervical canal, prevents the emergence of functional disorders in the neck department in the future.
- Healing of the wound surface occurs in a shorter period than with surgical intervention with a violation of the integrity of the endometrium.
- Interrupting pregnancy with a mini-abortion, the patient may refuse to use general anesthesia if there is a high pain threshold.
- Abortion, produced in the first month of pregnancy by the method of vacuum aspiration, has a minimal risk of complications. Despite the absence of contraindications, only a doctor should decide whether it is possible to make a mini-abortion at week 12.
- The absence of a long rehabilitation period increases the number of patients wishing to do medabort with vacuum suction at the acceptable period of pregnancy.
Despite the advantages of vacuum aspiration, the risk of complications is not excluded:
- occurrence of inflammatory diseases of reproductive organs;
- risk of polyps due to incomplete removal of residues of aborted material;
- spasm of the muscles of the cervical canal;
- the appearance of blood clots in the uterine cavity and cervical canal;
- delay of the parts of the fetal egg and the need for a repeat procedure.
Abortion with surgical instruments is the most traumatic type of abortion performed by a doctor. The essence of the method is to expand the cervical canal and curettage of the uterus with the help of a curette. Operative intervention is resorted only in the most unconventional situations, when the use of other methods is impossible.
The basis for the appointment of an operative method of abortion is:
- the gestational age exceeds 7 weeks;
- contraindications to the use of alternative methods of medaborta;
- abnormalities in the development of reproductive organs;
- abnormalities of intrauterine development of the fetus due to chromosomal and other disorders;
- infection during pregnancy, which is threatened with irreversible consequences for the child's future;
- frozen pregnancy;
- threat to the life of the patient;
- incapacity of the woman, connected with physical and mental health.
Later, intervention for a period of 12 to 22 weeks is an exceptional case, resorted to in consultation in situations such as:
- the presence of women in places of deprivation of liberty;
- death of a husband during pregnancy;
- deprivation of parental rights;
- Identification of intrauterine deviations in fetal development at a later date;
- Serious diseases, which present a real threat to the life of the patient.
When deciding on a late pregnancy termination, which can no longer be done according to acceptable standards, it is necessary to assess the degree of risk of possible complications. The probability of complications in women who have made medabort increases by 15-20% with each subsequent month.
Among the key post-election consequences are:
- perforation of the uterus body during curettage (scraping);
- cervical canal rupture during its expansion;
- the formation of polyps with incomplete clearance of the uterine cavity;
- risk of bleeding, the appearance of blood clots in the uterus and cervical canal;
- risk of infection;
- a longer rehabilitation period for the healing of the wound surface;
When deciding on the artificial termination of pregnancy at any time, it is necessary to assess the degree of risk not only for the reproductive sphere, but for the whole organism as a whole. The doctor's task is to give the patient a real idea of the manipulations being carried out, to suggest that it is not simply the removal of biological material, but human life. An ill-considered decision can forever change the fate of a woman, depriving her of the happiness of motherhood.