If the monthly does not end, what to do
Menstruation is a monthly phenomenon that occurs in every woman of childbearing age. In the normal menstrual cycle, menstrual cycles last from three to seven days. But some can last longer. And then a woman can begin to worry, why do menstruation go for 10 days and what should I do in such a situation?
Duration of monthly
It is believed that in normal menstruation goes from three to seven days. But when the patient complains that the discharge lasts more than seven days, this indicates a violation in the body.
There are situations when the monthly lasts more than seven days. The exceptions are:
- Hereditary factor. In such situations, treatment is not carried out, since such a process is an individual feature of the body.
- Menstruation after abortion.
- Using a spiral as a contraceptive.
- Appearance of the first menstruation. While the body is getting used to the new hormonal background, the monthly can last longer than seven days (cycle formation can take up to 12 months).
If the patient does not belong to any of the above-mentioned group, then she must urgently consult a doctor. Prolonged bleeding of any kind requires urgent diagnosis.
Causes of prolonged monthly
There are a lot of reasons for long periods. Many women are wondering why the menstrual period has been going on for 15 days, what to do and to whom to turn? In which case is the process a pathology? When the monthly go for a long time, you need to visit a gynecologist.
The main reasons include:
- Unsteady cycle.Menstruation takes 7-10 days, if the cycle has not yet fully established. If the first months have begun not so long ago, not more than a year ago, then such a process is considered the norm.
If the patient has menstruation lasting longer than 10 days, then first make sure that the allocation is not abundant. If there is a daub, then you need to wait for the cycle to return to normal. But in any case, you need to report your condition to a specialist to exclude other pathologies.
Diseases of a hormonal nature.Some patients complain that the monthly go for more than 14 days. Why does this arise? Often, the main cause of this pathology include hormonal imbalance - endometriosis, endometrial hyperplasia and other diseases. The patient is recommended to undergo an examination, which includes ultrasound diagnosis, blood testing for analysis to determine the level of hormones, urinalysis.
- If the monthly go two weeks not so long ago, the hormonal failure is insignificant. Then the treatment will be in conservative therapy. The doctor will prescribe the use of hormonal drugs, the action of which is aimed at establishing the work of the ovaries. These include drugs such as Jeanine, Logest, Novinet, Dufaston, and others.
- If the patient has endometriosis or an ovarian cyst, then in most cases an operative intervention is prescribed.
- If long periods occur due to thyroid gland diseases, then it is necessary to conduct a survey of this organ. After diagnosis, treatment will be prescribed, which includes the use of drugs containing iodine or other drugs.
- Improperly selected contraception.If the menstruation is protracted or does not stop, then the contraceptive preparation may have been improperly selected. Bleeding may occur if there is an intrauterine device.
Why do menstruation take so long and what to do in this case? If a woman starts to take birth control pills, and bleeding does not stop, then you need to understand the use of these drugs. In the first months, the organism can be restructured. Also worth taking into account the abundance of discharge.
If a woman has a spiral and the monthly period lasts more than 9 days, ultrasound diagnosis is necessary. Often this process is manifested because the contraceptive is not suitable for a woman. In this case, it is necessary to quickly remove the spiral and choose a different method for protection.
- Pathological pregnancy.If the monthly does not stop for more than 3 weeks, then it is necessary to check for the presence of an ectopic pregnancy. In such situations, the fetal egg can attach to the walls of the fallopian tube or remain in the ovary. In rare situations, the embryo may remain in the abdominal cavity.
Also bleeding of a long-term nature can also occur with a normally developing pregnancy. But this indicates the beginning of a miscarriage.
What if the bleeding does not take more than two weeks and there are signs of pregnancy? The first thing is to go to a doctor or call an ambulance. Specialists will do an ultrasound and identify the cause of the pathology.
If the patient has an ectopic pregnancy, then she undergoes a surgical procedure. When pregnancy develops normally, she is recommended to observe bed rest and complete rest for 8 days. Also, women are prescribed drugs aimed at maintaining pregnancy, in the form of Utrozhestan, Progesteron or Dufaston. If the bleeding does not end long, then it is advised to drink special preparations in the form of Dicinone or Tranexam.
Some women ask a question about why the monthly periods do not end during pregnancy? Prolonged menstruation indicates the expulsion of the fetus from the uterus. Then the patient should be scraped.
- Diseases of the blood.If the monthly does not end and the duration is more than seven days, it is possible that a woman has circulatory system diseases. This pathology can be determined by coagulogram and hemostasiogram. In such situations, the body lacks platelets or other factors, whose action is aimed at blocking bleeding vessels and blood clotting.
Often long lasting menses are accompanied by other unpleasant symptoms in the form of general fatigue, dizziness, pale skin. If a woman has a blood disorder, she is treated with a hemostasist.
If the periods do not stop, then the patient is sent for scraping. The procedure will help to solve not only the problem with a large number of secretions, but will allow to determine the cause of bleeding after a histological examination.
- The defeat of the cervix and cervical canal.If the periods do not end, the causes may be erosion, the presence of polyps or cysts in the cervix. To diagnose erosion, colposcopy is performed and only after this treatment begins.
If polyps or cysts are found, urgent surgical intervention is performed, especially if the bleeding is of a continuous nature.
- Cancer education.If the months are delayed, then this may indicate the presence of cancer. Often such a pathological process occurs in women over fifty years of age.
- Stressful situations.If there are stressful situations, there may be a period of more than seven days. If you undergo treatment (taking sedatives), then everything will return to normal.
Danger of prolonged monthly
Not all women know that incessant menstruation can carry a certain danger to the patient in the form of:
- Loss of large amounts of blood. In this situation, the monthly does not just go 10 days or more. Their character changes, they can become somewhat thicker or stronger.
- The need for urgent surgical intervention. When long months begin and last for several weeks, women often try to solve the problem themselves. Therefore late address to the doctor and start illness.
- Presence of serious pathology.
If menstruation is delayed for several days or lasts for the second week, it is better to visit the doctor to establish the true cause.
To make the menage quicker, some women resort to folk methods of treatment. Such remedies help to solve the problem and do not cause adverse reactions. But it is necessary to conduct everything under the supervision of a doctor.
The most common recipes include:
- Decoction from the herbal collection. For its preparation you need to take birch leaves, peppermint, valerian root and yarrow. The mixture is poured with boiled water and heated in a water bath for 10-15 minutes. After that, the broth is filtered and drunk throughout the day.
- Tincture. For its preparation you need to take birch leaves and pour boiled water. Insist for 20 minutes and take up to three times per day.
- Tincture of alcohol. To make it, you need to take birch buds and pour vodka. Put in a dark and cool place for thirty days. Take it on the throat to two times a day. Long-terminating menstruation takes place on the third day after taking the tincture.
In any case, with long lasting menstrual or copious discharge it is worthwhile to see a doctor to establish the cause of such a phenomenon.