Causes of fungus in the mouth in a child and ways of treatment
Fungus in the mouth of a child is observed in 5% of the total number of children. Protective properties in the child are in the stage of formation, so the weakness of immunity favors the development of various infectious diseases..
Fungal pathology can affect any part of the body - from the skin to the mucous membranes.
In the absence of effective treatment, the disease can go into a chronic form and periodically exacerbate.
- 2Clinical picture and diagnosis
Fungal infection of the mucous membrane in the mouth in children is called candidiasis, and in people known as thrush. It is because of the great similarity of the resulting raid with curd, candidiasis in this case called milkmaids.
The main pathogen is Candida fungus. It is present in any organism. In most cases, he does not manifest himself at all, but if the work of immunity is violated, the fungal infection starts active.
Infection can occur during childbirth. Infection often occurs in the maternity hospital due to non-compliance with hygiene standards.
In this regard, candidiasis is divided into the following types:
- stomatitis (oral cavity damage);
- laryngitis (inflammation of the larynx);
- glossitis (thrush localized to the tongue mucosa);
- cheilitis (infection of the inner surface of the lip).
Fungus in the mouth in children can occur in both chronic and acute forms.
The main factors and conditions favoring the development of oral cavity candidiasis are:
- prolonged antibiotic treatment;
- long-term use as a local therapy of various antibacterial drugs;
- treatment with hormone-based drugs;
- blood diseases;
- lack of vitamins in the body;
- finding a child in a poor environment;
- weakening of the reconstructive properties of the mucosa as a result of weakening of immunity against the background of HIV infection;
- malignant tumor;
- thermal damage to the oral cavity.
Infants are characterized by the following factors:
- Dry air.
- Infection during breastfeeding.
- Violation of the rules of personal hygiene by the mother.
- Lower body weight.
- Chronic infectious diseases.
Clinical picture and diagnosis
As the pathology progresses, there is a worsening of the condition with characteristic symptoms:
- the temperature increases;
- the child's activity is reduced as a result of general weakness;
- when swallowed, a painful syndrome appears;
- gland is prone to inflammation;
- swelling of the nasopharynx and palatine tonsils;
- The lymph nodes located under the jaw are markedly enlarged, and their palpation is accompanied by pain.
The vitality of the fungal microflora leads to the appearance of a white coating on the gland resembling a film. Removing this white "cottage cheese" leads to the appearance of sores. In most cases, the fungus on the tonsils does not pose a threat to the life of the child. However, in the absence of timely treatment, a pathological ailment can spread to the digestive tract and respiratory organs. As a consequence, children often develop pharyngitis.
In order to diagnose oral mastitis, the pediatrician conducts, first of all, a visual examination, in most cases this is enough. If there are any doubts, it is recommended to conduct a laboratory study of the biomaterial taken from the child.The scraping of the mucous throat is mainly investigated. Such an activity has the purpose of accurately determining the species belonging to the pathogen.
The presence of a fungus in the biomaterial under study does not mean that the child is ill, since candida are present in any organism. But the weakening of protective properties and the presence of favorable factors allow the fungus to begin to actively multiply, which will manifest inflammatory symptoms. Laboratory tests of blood and urine will allow a doctor to exclude the possibility of a baby's presence diphtheria, or some blood diseases that manifest pathological changes in the mucosa throat.
Like any fungal disease, the treatment of oral candidiasis requires an integrated approach.
For effective therapy it is necessary:
- Treat the tonsils and mucous throat with a solution of water and soda. Well-proven treatment with the use of infusion from the bark of oak or calendula flowers. The use of Fucocine and Miramistine helps to quickly overcome the ailment. Treatment of foci of inflammation can be medications that have in their composition clotrimazole (Pimafucin).
- If local therapy does not lead to the desired relief, agents that enhance the activity of the immune system are used to treat fungal infection. A complex of antihistamines and antipruritic agents helps to reduce the inflammatory process. It is mandatory to take B vitamins.
Good reviews are treated with fungal pathology of the mouth with the help of aloe juice and tincture of ginseng. As an auxiliary therapy, traditional medicine can be used, but only by prior agreement with a specialist.
To protect your baby, nursing mothers are strongly encouraged to comply with appropriate hygiene rules. Curing candidiasis in the child is strictly forbidden to avoid serious complications..