Herpes on the head: causes and treatment
Herpes on the head, in most cases, occurs in women of advanced age, but it is also not worth excluding its appearance in elderly men. The emergence of a characteristic herpetic eruption can be due to direct contact with sick person, and can become a manifestation of the recurrence of chickenpox, which the person had already recovered in the early childhood.At the first manifestations of the disease on the scalp or neck, the right treatment should be started, which will avoid unpleasant complications of the disease..
- 1Why there is a disease
- 2Symptomatology of the disease
- 3How is the disease treated?
Why there is a disease.
Herpes is a viral disease. Modern medicine knows several types of this ailment, which differ in their basic characteristics. For example, the herpetic virus type 1 and type 2 most often appears on the lips, skin and mucous membranes. The third type is the chickenpox virus, which is manifested in children in early childhood, and the herpes zoster infection, which has a characterization of appearance in adults.
The reasons why there were herpetic eruptions on the head or neck may be several.
Herpetic viral cells can be deposited on the affected scalp with direct contact with an infected person.
This will be a type 1 or 2 virus.
This is very often observed in contact sports, in which not only close contact of athletes is possible, but also traumatization of the head, for example, fighting. But, in most cases, the cause of herpes on the head is a relapse of the disease, which was transferred in childhood.
It's about chicken pox. When a child has had this disease in early childhood, he develops immunity to re-infection. But the virus remains forever in the body and localized in the nerve cells. With a significant weakening of immunity, it begins to activate and very quickly multiply. But for older people, it does not appear like chickenpox. Defeating the nervous system, acts as a shingles.
Our immunity plays an important role in the manifestation of this disease. That's why they say that such a manifestation of herpes is typical for the elderly. This age category has reduced immune forces, so it often suffers such complications.
To prevent such a recurrence, doctors recommend adhering to certain rules that help support the human immune forces and reduce the possibility of this herpetic ailment on head.
- to live an active lifestyle;
- timely treatment of chronic diseases;
- balanced eating and walking in the fresh air;
- rejection of bad habits.
Doctors also identify factors that affect the reduction of immunity.
- a bad ecological situation;
- harmful working conditions;
- oncological ailments;
- transferred surgical interventions.
Symptomatology of the disease
It should be noted that the symptoms of herpes on the head are quite diverse. Some patients talk about the rapid development of the disease, others can identify the stages of the onset of herpetic eruption.
Conditionally, the formation of an ailment on the neck and head is divided into 4 main stages:
- The patient notes unpleasant, sometimes painful sensations in the field of further appearance of the focus of the disease.
- On the neck and scalp appear characteristic inflammatory areas, which manifest themselves as small bubbles with liquid. In this case, the patient complains of significant pain or itching in these areas.
- The stage of opening the vesicles. This is the most unsuccessful stage of the development of the disease and the most contagious, since the released fluid from the bursted vesicle contains cells of the active virus. Even the slightest contact with the affected area can lead to the spread of the disease.
- The last stage is characterized by the formation of a scab in place of the former vesicles. With this development of the disease, the patient complains of general weakness and malaise, fever, severe pain.
If herpes on the head is seen at an early stage of its development, and its correct treatment is carried out, then Symptoms can be reduced, and the course of the disease will be faster, minimizing possible complications.
How is the disease treated?.
Successful treatment of herpes on the neck and head is guaranteed by the correct and timely use of antiviral drugs. The most effective now is "Famciclovir" or its analogues "Acyclovir "Zovirax". If the treatment was started on time, then all the symptoms of an illness on the neck and head can be removed within a week. If the disease is established at the third stage of development, then therapy can take up to two weeks or more.
In addition to antiviral drugs, you need to take and anti-inflammatory drugs (paracetamol, ibuprofen), as well as immunostimulants, which helps to activate the protective functions of the body. For patients also prescribe courses of vitamins.
Here are the basic rules of therapy:
- regular treatment of inflammatory skin areas;
- after opening the vials, therapy should combine antibacterial drugs;
- at the stage of formation of the scab, erythromycin ointment can be used, which promotes healing;
- for anesthesia it is better to use ointments with such properties, for example, based on lidocaine;
- physiotherapy procedures are allowed, for example, ultraviolet rays contribute to the death of the cells of the virus.
During an exacerbation of ailment it is necessary to refrain and not to wash a head that will help to prevent the spread of infection to healthy parts. If this is not possible, then to clean the hair, choose a baby shampoo, and after the cleansing procedure, it is necessary to perform bactericidal treatment.
Do not forget about the preventive measures of the appearance of herpetic eruptions on the head, which consists primarily in strengthening the immune system. Specialists recommend to normalize their diet, observe the regime of the day, carry out tempering of the body. All this will reduce the possibility of herpes on the head and its complications..